Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Gear and Tool Review Board

Eneloop batteries

(1/21) > >>

Ralph:
I did a search of the forum for information on Eneloop batteries. Aside from their being mentioned a few times there wasn't any 'real life' information on them. I bought a set of 10 Eneloop AAs a while back. They all seemed to have a pretty good charge when I got them, but I put them in my charger to 'top them off'. I tested them in two different LED lights and compared them to alkalines. The run times were almost identical on the highest brightness setting of both lights. Since then I've been keeping 2 Eneloops in my 2-AA EDC light- with a couple alkalines near by.

I was wondering if anyone has been using Eneloops for more than a couple months, and what experience you had as far as their ability to hold charge after laying around a while. After a few weeks, maybe a month after charging, 2 randomly picked Eneloops don't seem to have discharged noticeably. What are your experiences?

FreeLancer:
I'm really happy with eneloops and have been using them in lights and radios for the last couple years.  I haven't done any objective testing, but I'm impressed with their performance.

MaddoginMass:
I've been using them for a couple years now.  I am very happy with them and they are the only rechargeable battery that I will be buying in the future.  I've tried several brands, but these seem to last the best.  They also appear to have a lower rate of failure, but they are also my newest set of batteries so time will tell.

Nicodemus:
I've been using Sanyo eneloop rechargeables for about 3 or 4 years now in my EDC lights, remotes and a few other gadgets. Thus far they've performed spectacularly.

I have a set of ipod/laptop speakers that uses 3 AAA cells. I've been running them on the same 6 eneloops now cycling them in and out, charging when necessary and they've been going for about two and a half years now.

Ralph:
It sounds like the manufacturer's claims are pretty accurate. Thanks for the replies. I still have a handful of AA NiMH AA cells that are years old and some seem to hold their charge for quite a while. The problem with those cells is that they do not have a positive terminal that sticks out, so stacking cells requires a conductive spacer between cells. I may give them a try one day out of curiosity.

For now with 10 AA Eneloops they mostly sit idle. I know it's not the best test, but I may check them with a voltmeter to see how they look. Very few people seem to recommend rechargeable batteries for emergency use because of their long history of going dead when not used. I keep some lithium and alkaline batteries in my kit, but a reliable rechargeable and a way to recharge seems like a good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version