Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Gear and Tool Review Board

SpinSkins bike tire liners

(1/2) > >>

Alan Georges:
I keep meaning to get around to writing this review.  Like every time I jump on my CX bike to go ride the glass-strewn seawall and bridge route along the coast here, and I think "wow, it's been eight months since I've had a flat, I should write a review."  To put this into perspective, I was having a flat about once every two weeks before I put these tire liners in.  So, yeah, these things work like a charm.  I'm using the less-expensive "Duro" version.  At $35, they're not cheap, but I've more than made up for that in not buying patches and tubes, not to mention time and aggravation.  They add a little weight, but with the short-tread offroad tires I'm running it's hard to tell any difference.  In a nutshell, the bike rolls the same as before.  It just rolls a lot longer between flats.

To recap: Eight months with no flats, up from a flat every two weeks.  Light and thin enough that for non-race tires it's hard-to-impossible to tell that they're in there.  Not cheap, but they've paid for themselves already.  For post-TEOTWAWKI or just everyday use, these are good stuff!

Alan Georges:
Jinxed myself!  I knew that writing that review would cause a flat.  Ripped out a stem last weekend while airing the tires up, so yeah, I had a flat but it was not a puncture flat.  Seems to be how the universe works.

OTOH, rolled right through a broken bottle on today's ride with no ill effects.

thezoo:
gonna hafta look inta those

blueyedmule:
They're fantastic! Also Tufo tire sealant. With those two the only thing left is massive tire failure (like when I hit a man hole cover in the dark that was upside down centerpunching the hooks that secure it).

Alan Georges:
Three years and three months after installing these things, I finally had a flat! ;D   Cause of the flat was a 1-1/4" drywall screw that finally wormed through the casing and the spinskin.  Glass?  Don't make my tires laugh.

Now mind you this is not my high-mileage bike, it's the weekend all-rounder, so I'm guesstimating that's only about 2500 miles.  But still, this long (time or mileage) between flats is darned near miraculous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version