Author Topic: Family to hike Appalachian Trail - I know them!  (Read 6048 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Family to hike Appalachian Trail - I know them!
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »
http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/local/family-to-hike-appalachian-trail

Awesome story-family takes 7 months out of regular life to hike the appalachian trail! I work with the father, and I think what they are attempting to accomplish is amazing.  I plan on liking his facebook page and following them on this journey. I think it would be cool if this community followed along as well, and I would love to hear Jack interview them at the end.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
Re: Family to hike Appalachian Trail - I know them!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
+1 http://rainwater2012.com/

Wish I could take off for 7 months.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »
I could probably take off for 7 months, but I don't think I could make myself go back!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »
I've section hiked a couple of parts of the AT and loved it. I wish I could take off for the time it takes to thru-hike the whole trail.

Keeping the kids motivated my be one of the toughest obstacles they face. They're going to have to average about 10.3 miles a day, and some of the sections are brutal.

I'll definitely follow their blog and I wish them luck!

Offline Think4Yourself

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »
I have hiked a few sections of the AT myself, and I agree that keeping the kids mentally engaged is going to be the hard part, as well as keeping the entire family at the same pace.  When you hike with a group of adults, each hiker can set their own pace and meet at the next shelter, but that isnt the case with a 9 year old.  Rain can also be a major downer if they run into extender periods of rainfall, it really wears on you. That said, good for them, I am very envious of their opportunity. I hope it works out and they make it the entire way.   And hey, who would be against a family who names their kids Forest and River.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
The weather stops alot of thru hikers.  If you start out in Georgia early in the spring the weather stinks with cold rain everyday in some of the worst areas to hike.  (Seems like in Georgia you go up and down over each mountain, while most of the rest of the AT is along ridgelines).  You have to make enough progress to get done before they close the trail in the fall in the north.  (I've never made it far enough north for it to have ever mattered to me!)

I agree that keeping the group together will be very hard.  It hurts some people to slow down and it hurts most everyone to go faster than their pace.  There are still enough places to get lost and or hurt that you can't let the kids go without some adult guidance.

I hope they have read some blogs about others that have done this with children before.  Alot of kids really hate it in the beginning and make it living hell on their parents, but they end up really likeing it.  Sometimes this is because of minor injuries or blisters, and sometimes it's because kids can be whiners.  Alot of parents don't have the best open lines of communications with their kids and by the time the kid lets the parents know what is up it is too late.  Often this can be because the kid doesn't want to disappoint the parent that has wanted to do this forever, but the kid really hates it.

Offline Spencerusvi

• Prepper
    • Three Palms Villa
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:07 AM »
I wish them good luck but think it will be very difficult for the kids....

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 06:04:50 AM »
They are having their bon voyage party today. I agree that this trip is going to be quite difficult, especially on the little one.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
Just started checking out the AT on its website.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail

Man, I wish I had the time to do this. It would be awesome. And I would definitely lose any remaining weight I wanted to lose!

:)

Offline amdn

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »
As soon as I'm done with school, I'm hiking the AT. Can't wait! Wonder if I should carry though

Offline biophazer242

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
@amdn  I would recommend against carrying.  Every single ounce of weight is critical on the AT when you are doing a long hike and people begin to drop gear only a few days into the thru hike.

There is also the legal aspect of carrying on the trail, which in some states it is legal but in other states the AT passes thru, such as MD, it is a serious crime.   Just as a heads up, the AT passes thru close to 90 federal, state, and local agencies jurisdiction.... leave the firearm at home. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »
I have been on a section of it. I liked the blue & blackbutter flies very much. Millions of them that weekend. I think this is fantastic for the family to go on and wish them luck. I will have to read the blog and hopefully they have drops.

Cedar - (who would like to know what kind of butterflies those are)

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »
I've completed the entire trail.  They will have an experience they'll never forget!  Will follow their hike.  Anyone interested in the AT should check out trailjournals.com .  I get to have plenty of contact with hikers since I live 25 minutes from one crossing on the AT and 1.5 hours of all road access south of Fontana Dam.

Offline Spencerusvi

• Prepper
    • Three Palms Villa
Re: Family to hike Appalachian Trail
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 05:52:24 AM »
Best way to follow them is on Facebook.  They are on their way and posting updates.  Search "RainH20" on facebook and you will find their page.