Energy Options > Wind Power

Windmatic 65 kW Turbine

(1/3) > >>

Diablo:
I'm not big on PV or Wind, the break even just takes to long.

But I have seen used (refurbished) Wind Farm turbines for sale for less that $1 per watt.

The Windmatic 15s 65 kW turbine for $49,555 (Refurbished) is an example.

http://www.solardyne.com/win15swinfar.html

They have none in stock at this time, but sounds interesting to me if you lived in a wind zone that would support it. 135,000 KW/yr @ 12.5mph

Of course transport and installation costs would drive the price up (just wonder how much?) and it says 3 phase, 480 v. Can this be stepped down to work with single phase 220?

Anyone shed any light on this??? 

I have to imagine that there is something that will make it not worth while....as all the other pv and wind I have seen.

AtADeadRun:
65 kW is a *boatload* of power for home use; the average US home only uses ~11kWhe *annually.*  A 65kW turbine would need a tower probably in the kilodollar range, though I've not priced it.  If you're running 3ph 480Vac, that's not particularly compatible with what runs into your home (which, normally, is 240Vac 2ph 180 degrees out of phase, unlike 3ph in which each phase is 120 degrees out), so the power company would have to run special, 3ph service to the house.

Diablo:

--- Quote from: Atadeadrun on April 25, 2010, 05:08:34 PM ---65 kW is a *boatload* of power for home use; the average US home only uses ~11kWhe *annually.*  A 65kW turbine would need a tower probably in the kilodollar range, though I've not priced it.  If you're running 3ph 480Vac, that's not particularly compatible with what runs into your home (which, normally, is 240Vac 2ph 180 degrees out of phase, unlike 3ph in which each phase is 120 degrees out), so the power company would have to run special, 3ph service to the house.

--- End quote ---

The $47,555.00 price of the refurbished windmatic 65K includes the tower for it.

To me this is a SCREAMING DEAL (unless there is some hidden gotcha). A Bergey 10K is like $45K, the windmatic is a couple grand more and 6.5 times more power.

So what are you saying about the 3ph 480V? It is possible to make it work?

Crusher13:
It would be very doable to make the 480V 3 phase to work with your house. You would need purchase a transformer to place between the turbine and your house. That would probably be about $5K. The big problem already stated is the amount of energy a turbine of that size would generate and having the utility on board so you could sell the excess energy back to them. The service to your house is typically 1/5 the size of that turbine and to capture the energy during full output the utility would need to make special provisions that would also cost you money.

Orionblade:
Would this be suitable for a small community? I could see a culs-du-sac getting together and putting up a tower for it... and sharing in the energetic joy. Seems like the ROI would be rapid with such a setup, so long as you could either get the utility in on it, or find a simple way of stepping the power down, and storing some of it.

I've also seen recently what appear to be bi-directional inverters - put 12V or 24V in one end, and you get 120V out the other side like normal, but when you put 120V in, you get 12 or 24V out the other side, routed through a charge controller, that feeds back into your batteries... seems like you could put something like that in parallel with the step-down transformer to handle charigng battery banks that would automatically feed back into the system as the load demanded...

but those are not cheap. I'll see if I can post a link since it seems pertinent to this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version