Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear

Altoids Tin EDC Kit

<< < (4/8) > >>

d3nni5:
Endurance, is this EDC?   Or just when you head out for a long walk or something?

endurance:

--- Quote from: David in MN on January 09, 2015, 01:52:13 PM ---That's a pretty good water solution. I can appreciate that after having drank puddle water during a rather bad mountain climb that got out of hand.

I'm usually not far enough from civilization to be so prepared but out in the boonies I see a lot of value.

--- End quote ---
It's not truly EDC for me, it's what goes in my pockets when I wander off the pavement, even if just for a quick trail run.  As I go deeper afield, I carry more kit in my pack, but I never even get out of my tent without my pocket kit.

My EDC is boring as hell by some folks standards here.  Knife, flashlight, keychain w/ Resqme, smart phone, wallet & belt with enough cash to buy my way home from pretty much anywhere I'd drive, and generally (but not always) a 9mm & pepper spray.  My car is kitted out.  My office at work is kitted out, but after carrying a magnesium firestarter in my pocket for over a decade after leaving the Forest Service I realized it was nothing more than a talisman and I'd be better served carrying more cash where I function day to day.  I used to have a compact lock pick set I carried, but I lost it.  That's an item that seemed much more suited to the urban survivalist than some of the trinkets I have in my pocket kits for the back country.  If I find another one like that that fits nicely on my key chain, I'll gladly add it again.  It just had a basic torsion bar, raker and single pick, but it sure beat trying to do it with paper clips, which is frequently what I end up doing at the office every time someone accidentally locks their filing cabinet.

endurance:

--- Quote from: Hurricane on January 09, 2015, 02:04:45 PM ---I like this idea!
Where did you find the pouch?
(I could use something like it for work, too)

--- End quote ---
I just spent 10 minutes searching the wrong website, but finally found the right one:
http://survival.instantestore.net/pd_vinyl.cfm

I thought it was on my 'everything I can't find anywhere else' site, http://www.survivalresources.com/Products/Survival_Products.html

Between those two and, http://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/survival-gear-1/, there's just about everything you could ever want for backcountry kits.

d3nni5:
Endurance, this is my approach.   I gave the Altoids tin a serious try...it was like carrying a little too much in my pockets to be worth it.   I've designed my surroundings to have stuff available to me in progression depending on how far I plan to wander.

It may seem like a small thing, these Altoids tins, but I couldn't stick with it every day.   I was bulging out of every pocking with "stuff".   Risk vs Reward was not there for me.   So I keep the car and truck stacked with stuff, and if I plan on a hike or something, then I get a pack out.   Easier than having it on me EDC, like I think the intent for these Altoid tins are made.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Mountain State Prepper on January 09, 2015, 03:54:07 PM ---Endurance, this is my approach.   I gave the Altoids tin a serious try...it was like carrying a little too much in my pockets to be worth it.   I've designed my surroundings to have stuff available to me in progression depending on how far I plan to wander.

It may seem like a small thing, these Altoids tins, but I couldn't stick with it every day.   I was bulging out of every pocking with "stuff".   Risk vs Reward was not there for me.   So I keep the car and truck stacked with stuff, and if I plan on a hike or something, then I get a pack out.   Easier than having it on me EDC, like I think the intent for these Altoid tins are made.

--- End quote ---

They oughta' make a survival baseball cap with that watertight bag thingie in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version