Farm, Garden and The Land > Permaculture, Land Management and Foraging

Starting an Apple Tree Orchard

<< < (4/13) > >>

LvsChant:
We planted our little orchard before the house was even built back in 2013 (bare root stock from Peaceful Valley - groworganic.com - got a mix of fruit trees for about $200 for 10 different varieties)... All the trees are loaded with apples this year since we haven't had a late frost this year. I'm going to have to thin them out pretty soon. It's been so windy, though, that I'm waiting to see what blows off first.

Gala is my big pollinator for the apples...

We have:

Gala
Granny Smith
Cox's Yellow Pippin
Gravenstein
Honeycrisp

The Gravenstein and Honeycrisp are the latest to blossom, but the Gala has blooms for such a long time that it seems to take care of all that need a cross-pollinator. Around here (southern NM), despite the fact that apples and pears do really well, not many people have them and there are zero local orchards to visit...

We also have two pear trees, which seem to do really well... Bartlett (good pollinator) and Red D'Anjou (iirc)

CagedFeral:
Went out and watered with rain water tonight because it's been a couple three days without rain. They are lookin great. The Golden Delicious has leaf sprouts all over and the Liberty has about half the leaf sprouts but the stock is about 3 times as thick!

It looks like these trees are loving the location. I'll baby them this summer by watering at night thru the hot dry times. I just don't have the nerve to cut them when they seem to be doing so well. I put half of one of those fertilizer sticks and a little bone meal in when I planted so I'll just water and mulch this year. I don't think adding anything would help them in the long run for now. I want them to grow strong roots.

Now I need to research the 4 to 6 I'll add next year.

CagedFeral:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on April 12, 2017, 05:50:57 PM ---We planted our little orchard before the house was even built back in 2013 (bare root stock from Peaceful Valley - groworganic.com - got a mix of fruit trees for about $200 for 10 different varieties)... All the trees are loaded with apples this year since we haven't had a late frost this year. I'm going to have to thin them out pretty soon. It's been so windy, though, that I'm waiting to see what blows off first.

Gala is my big pollinator for the apples...

We have:

Gala
Granny Smith
Cox's Yellow Pippin
Gravenstein
Honeycrisp

The Gravenstein and Honeycrisp are the latest to blossom, but the Gala has blooms for such a long time that it seems to take care of all that need a cross-pollinator. Around here (southern NM), despite the fact that apples and pears do really well, not many people have them and there are zero local orchards to visit...

We also have two pear trees, which seem to do really well... Bartlett (good pollinator) and Red D'Anjou (iirc)

--- End quote ---

Gala is always coming up as a good pollinator so it's on the list. I've always loved a Granny Smith so I'd love to have couple of them.

Knecht:
Good luck! I got into tree planting two years ago (planted couple more before, but it was no big deal). Planted 40 new trees and bushes in the last two years. Most of them are doing great so far. Hope yours will be the same.

Skispcs:
Not sure if Japanese beetles are a problem in your area but they destroyed my young apple trees last summer.
I had 10 2 year old apple trees and the beetles completely defoliated them along with my cherry and plum trees.
Even with some judicious pruning, half of the trees did not come back this year.

I am currently experimenting with mosquito netting and a frame to place over each tree once they are pollinated and before the beetles come out in late June.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version