Farm, Garden and The Land > Permaculture, Land Management and Foraging

Starting an Apple Tree Orchard

<< < (3/13) > >>

jerseyboy:
Not all crab apples are sour

https://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apple-trees/whitney-crabapple

I haven't tried this one, but Whitney is one of three or four common ones people grow.  If I find others, I will post them.

Here are a few more

http://www.grandrapidsmn.com/opinion/columnists/ornamental-versus-edible-crabapples/article_63d864ac-d16a-11e3-9f57-0019bb2963f4.html

Jerseyboy

CagedFeral:
I'm now thinking I may need a crabapple. I'm thinking good pollinators are what I should start with. I'd like to try a Whitney crabapple if for no other reason than that's my daughter's name.

I'm watching these 1st two trees for buds then I'll be very motivated to get more started next year. This time of year here can make you crazy because some things start budding out while others stay dormant. I feel like running out to there and giving motivation speeches.

Cedar:
Advice? Don't over think it if you have alot of apples within a mile of your house. I tend to live in remote areas that apples are not very well populated, and with the weird varieties I tend to have, I had to do a bit of research  on them. The chances of your apples not getting pollinated are unlikely.

In the Autumn, find a apple taste testing  orchard or event in the fall, taste test until you can'tt take another bite, take a notebook and rate the flavor etc from a 1-5. At the end of the day, find the varieties you liked best, research and locate this one's you really like. Don't have enough room? Make a Belgian fence from them. I have  pics on here somewhere on what a Belgian fence with apples looks like. Really not as intimidating as it might seem.

Cedar

CagedFeral:
I'll look into a fence. I have deer in the back yard all the time. I'm using a homemade pest repellent right now. It's nasty stuff. It makes my wife run away. Checked them Sunday evening and no signs of pest. One tiny bud at the highest tip on each tree.

I saw a youtube video saying to cut a bareroot in half so that it will grow roots stronger the first year. These bareroots are basically 3ft sticks. I'm wondering if I should do this.

We have a huge apple orchard that my best guess is 8-10 air miles from here. I worked some weekends picking there when I was 16. I have no idea where the nearest tree is but I'm guessing a few are around. We also have a beekeeping operation near by so that may help.

bigbear:

--- Quote from: CagedFeral on April 11, 2017, 05:29:26 AM ---One tiny bud at the highest tip on each tree.

I saw a youtube video saying to cut a bareroot in half so that it will grow roots stronger the first year. These bareroots are basically 3ft sticks. I'm wondering if I should do this.

--- End quote ---

Pinch the bud off.  It takes nutrients away from growing roots and other more important things.

Let it grow for now.  Wait until winter to cut it back.  But yes, the first pruning is pretty severe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version