Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

2014-15 Deer Season Thread

<< < (9/9)

backwoods_engineer:
Well, it's over in North/Central Alabama.
I hunted 19 days in gun season, on a 1600-acre place, from which 26 deer were harvested gun season, and 1 in bow season: 12 doe and the rest bucks of various rack sizes, by 20 hunters, of which only a dozen made kills.

And me: I got absolutely nothing.

Yes, I'm pretty disgusted.  Lease fees on this land are pretty high. I could have had at least a side of beef and probably half a hog in the freezer for what I paid in land lease fees and travel to and from the land (1-hr round trip).

I don't know if I will do this again next year. 

Maybe this is a survival skill I'm just not cut out for, despite my "country boy" upbringing.  But when I was a kid, there WERE NO DEER!  Nobody I knew hunted deer, because there were none where we lived.  Now, they're everywhere, cars are hitting them left and right, first-time hunters are going out one afternoon on the last day of season making kills (yes, a guy at work), and I got nothing.

Just disgusted, and had to vent.  Sorry, folks.

nelson96:
That's a bummer B_E, don't give up.

backwoods_engineer:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on February 02, 2015, 08:25:42 AM ---That's a bummer B_E, don't give up.

--- End quote ---

Where's the cost/benefit?  I'm not really having fun doing it, because I know it's not worth it.  Really, I'd rather be shooting my rifle, and for the cost of the deer lease, I can have a new rifle and a metric ton of ammo.  So, yeah, not seeing it.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on February 04, 2015, 05:10:37 PM ---Where's the cost/benefit?  I'm not really having fun doing it, because I know it's not worth it.  Really, I'd rather be shooting my rifle, and for the cost of the deer lease, I can have a new rifle and a metric ton of ammo.  So, yeah, not seeing it.

--- End quote ---

Maybe you're going about it all wrong.  Cost/benefit is the LAST [meaning never] thing I look at when I think back to my hunts.

d3nni5:
I only started hunting two years ago.   I've never got a deer.    I know I don't have my time in like others, but just saying.   My buddy also struck out this past year.   He gets at least one every year.   Tough times, but beats working.   Keep after it BE.   Maybe someplace closer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version