Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

2014-15 Deer Season Thread

(1/9) > >>

Niccolum:
So the time is more or less here depending on where you live for..... deer season! Here in Pennsylvania, today was the state-wide opening of archery for antlered and antlerless. Post your progress, agony, and success against that must elusive whitetail or mule deer.

I was on post at 6:30am. Hunting a new field this year and didn't have any time to walk it before the season to find runs or a place to climbing stand. So this morning I trekked in, found some runs in the dark, and sat in a chair on the ground in a small clear spot with some views into the center of the field - the brush is thick, about 3-4ft high in most places. Amazingly, I setup shop right on a active run and within 2 hours six buck were in the field. One was a huge 4x4 at just short of 20yds. I was standing and drawn on him but I needed him to take another two steps out of the brush before I could get a clean vitals shot. However, either I twitched or he smelled me. He stopped, stared at me for about a minute, then snorted in alarm and took off. The five other all took off too. Would have been the biggest deer of my life and on opening day of archery nonetheless! Didn't see anything for another 2.5 hours and decided to scout for a stand location. I came across a bedded down 3x3 making an amazing seven buck total for one morning. Not a single doe though, which is odd for around here as there's a veritable army of them. Finally found a good stand tree - lots of smaller scrub trees clogging the perimeter - but it's hard to get to. Might need to make another recon. Good morning, but I'm sorely disappointed I couldn't get the big guy.

Note: My region of PA is "four on one side" for buck so all of the littler 3x3s and spikes aren't shooters except for youth hunters.

riverbend_rich:
went out this morning with great anticipation!!!!! Saw a cottontail and froze. It was 37 this morning and I was not prepared to sit in the cold this soon! My anticipation is due to the fact I have a chance of seeing a black bear. Us okies do have bears just not this far west. We have a bear season in the Far East counties but it is almost in heard of to see one in Seminole county. But I went to put out my game camera a few weeks ago and found my feeder laying on its side with claw marks on it. Also a local oilfield pumper I ran across reminded me of the one caught in a hog trap a few years ago that was just 2 miles from where I hunt. So I  packing a little heat with me during Boe season( legal with cc permit in ok btw)

What do ya'll think???

nelson96:

--- Quote from: riverbend_rich on October 04, 2014, 10:14:09 PM ---went out this morning with great anticipation!!!!! Saw a cottontail and froze. It was 37 this morning and I was not prepared to sit in the cold this soon! My anticipation is due to the fact I have a chance of seeing a black bear. Us okies do have bears just not this far west. We have a bear season in the Far East counties but it is almost in heard of to see one in Seminole county. But I went to put out my game camera a few weeks ago and found my feeder laying on its side with claw marks on it. Also a local oilfield pumper I ran across reminded me of the one caught in a hog trap a few years ago that was just 2 miles from where I hunt. So I  packing a little heat with me during Boe season( legal with cc permit in ok btw)

What do ya'll think???
--- End quote ---

Black bears on my side of the woods are usually nothing to fear unless it's a momma w/ cubs.  On the most part they are very skidish of people and I've never known one to hunt down a person.  That said, I do pack a pistol when I hunt. . .  Complacency is what gets you hurt.  Always be aware and prepared for the worst.

backwoods_engineer:
Bow season starts Oct 15 in my part of Alabama.  I'm a gun hunter, so unless I get hold of a crossbow or a primitive firearm, I am going to have to wait until thanksgiving.

However, I have already started walking the deer lease, and there is sign everywhere.  Have seen 2 does in the two Saturdays I've walked the land.

BamaPrepper:
backwoods_engineer,
Where abouts in Alabama?  My parents live in Perry County and I am heading over that way on the 19th to do a few days of bow hunting on a friends land....I haven't gotten to scout much, but this land always has a ridiculous amount of activity, so I am hopeful!!

Bamaprepper

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version