Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Gutless Field Dressing

(1/8) > >>

nelson96:
Has anyone ever field dressed an animal without gutting it?  Fred Eichler does an exceptional job of showing how to do this.  He removes all four quarters, the backstrap, and loins without ever gutting the animal and does it in less than 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kJIrW1IDM

I prefer skinning first and removing more meat, but if conditions require you to cut time and effort, he offers a clean example of how it can be done.

endurance:
Interesting.  I'm always interested in learning new techniques, especially faster ones when you get that animal just before sunset and you're three miles from the truck, it's Sunday evening and you have to work in the morning.

thanks

nelson96:
Pretty slick huh?  I also liked how he mentioned to be sure to leave something on one of the quarters for "proof of sex".  I wonder how many people realize you must do that?  I've never done it before last year, but when my daughters took their hunters safety course a guest speaker (State Game Worden) mentioned this.  I quized him after and he explained in better detail why it's required in our State unless your hunt is a hair tag.

endurance:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on November 25, 2013, 11:07:23 AM ---Pretty slick huh?  I also liked how he mentioned to be sure to leave something on one of the quarters for "proof of sex".  I wonder how many people realize you must do that?  I've never done it before last year, but when my daughters took their hunters safety course a guest speaker (State Game Worden) mentioned this.  I quized him after and he explained in better detail why it's required in our State unless your hunt is a hair tag.

--- End quote ---
Yep, I've always left the nipples attached to one hind quarter.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: endurance on November 25, 2013, 11:09:32 AM ---Yep, I've always left the nipples attached to one hind quarter.
--- End quote ---

You must leave a testicle on a bull or buck too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version