The TSP Marketplace > The Berkey Guy - Berkey Light Water Filters

Berkey on a well

(1/3) > >>

Roamer:
  My drinking water comes from a well and I chlorinate it and carbon filter and a softening filter. I know that
I should not use this water in the Berkey.

My backup plan in case of a long term power failure is to have a manual pump on the well. I was thinking
about having a Berkey for those times and running the water straight from the well thru it.

How does that plan sound?

lettuceman:
You can make life easy for your self by setting up a small rainwater collection system.  If you run that water thru the Berkey filter, you will never drink well water again.  I've been drinking, making coffee and tea with rainwater for years.

theberkeyguy:

--- Quote from: Roamer on July 09, 2014, 05:50:52 AM ---  My drinking water comes from a well and I chlorinate it and carbon filter and a softening filter. I know that
I should not use this water in the Berkey.

My backup plan in case of a long term power failure is to have a manual pump on the well. I was thinking
about having a Berkey for those times and running the water straight from the well thru it.

How does that plan sound?

--- End quote ---

You can use the Berkey on the well water as long as it is not softened.  What state is your well in, and what contaminants are in the well water before you chlorinate it?

theberkeyguy

Roamer:
  I live in central Florida and I do soften the water. But I have was to get water at different stages of treatment.
I well is shallow (about 65') and is in the sub-suficial aquifer and not the Floridan Aquifer.

It is hard, and has sulfur, iron, and tannin in it. The chlorination takes out some of the iron and sulfur.
The softening filter has tannin beads as well  as softening beads. I also have a counter top RO filter in
the house that we run the water through for drinking.

r_w:
daulton rio puts six white candles (like the old berkey filters) into a big blue water filter case ready to be plumbed into a pressure system.  You could put it in-line before the softener (that is what I plan to do). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version