Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearm Self Defense

John Farnam: Personal readiness with a running gun

(1/4) > >>

CR Williams:
http://www.ammoland.com/2015/10/personal-readiness-with-a-running-gun/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=b0348b305c-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-b0348b305c-7181749#axzz3pL7rDRoq

endurance:
John has been my firearms instructor since 1988 and while I obviously like his teaching methods, I find it a little ironic that the same guy that's publishing this article (or as he likes to call them, quip) is physically less prepared to save his life than most of those guns discussed in the article. Extra weight and poor conditioning simply don't help in any kind of life or death fight. You need more than just a running gun and technique to see you survive to fight another day.

Mortblanc:

--- Quote from: Endurance on October 23, 2015, 08:51:19 AM ---John has been my firearms instructor since 1988 and while I obviously like his teaching methods, I find it a little ironic that the same guy that's publishing this article (or as he likes to call them, quip) is physically less prepared to save his life than most of those guns discussed in the article. Extra weight and poor conditioning simply don't help in any kind of life or death fight. You need more than just a running gun and technique to see you survive to fight another day.

--- End quote ---

That is completely dependent on the survival situation which is presented. 

Not every situation has or will be dependent on a combat scenario or require the ability to hump a 70 pound pack and then immediately engage in a firefight.

If that were the case then ownership of a firearm by the handicapped, small stature women and the elderly would be a wasted effort because they do not match up to your "image of a survivor".

endurance:
So other than abduction, where being 450 pounds might be to your advantage, where do you see less fitness as a benefit? 

While I'm far from the special forces warrior who can run 50 miles with a 70 pound pack in 10 hours, it just seems that better fitness, the best training we can afford and have the time for, and the best mental preparedness we can have, the better our individual chances for survival.

David in MN:
"Use a gun that works." Pretty run of the mill advice. While I respect the writer and I cede the point that dusting off carry gear is a great idea I'm suspicious of the vast numbers of guns that failed to work. I've seen torture tests where pistols continue to work after being dropped in sand, mud, water, etc. so the idea that many of us are running around without a functioning pistol doesn't pass my smell test.

In practice, I have to agree with Endurance. If every CCW holder took a daily walk and a CPR class it'd probably do more for extending life than carrying (not that I'm opposed to carrying; I do).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version