Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

Now Is The Time For Martial Arts

(1/2) > >>

David in MN:
I know you are locked out of your gym. That sucks.

Believe it or not we in the golden era of combat sports. I know you're locked out of your dojo. Don't despair. With you kid's soccer ball, 2 bungee chords, and some duct tape you can make a double-end bag, my favorite training tool.

If you want to go nuts (I'm nuts) hang a heavy bag in the garage. You can bounce from the heavy bag to the doulbe end bag.

If you're really, really crazy put a post with a dowel. Start working that you will touch the dowel while ducking it and throwing the uppercut. Rocky did this with a rope. If you want to go further practice some Judo on the dowel. Just manipulate your arms around it. It's defense practice.

In a few weeks life will begin springing back. Those of us who did hard martial arts at home will bounce back strong. It's a solid workout outside the gym.

This is the time to drill out that punch you suck at or build a dummy to practice holds. Come out a winner.

Boxers say we don't go to the heavy bag to work out. We go to think. You have a few martial arts tools. Start thinking.

Carver:
I have a gut feeling that Tai Chi isn't going to work for you. ;)

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Carver on April 21, 2020, 07:44:44 PM ---I have a gut feeling that Tai Chi isn't going to work for you. ;)

--- End quote ---

Actually, I dated a Japanese major in college so I was tied into the Asian community pretty hard. Also, I was a competitive powerlifter and we will literally do anything we think will increase blood flow and loosen tendons so I have done a ton of Tai Chi, yoga, Pilates, and any other workout you can imagine.

Also, when I make a swan movement I imagine myself as the giant swan we saw at Ludwig's palace in Bavaria. It does have an effect. I think a lot of the soft arts are about this visualization and connection.

It's your dime. Many of the greats did a lot of shadowboxing and sprints to get in ring shape. Here's a montage of Mike Tyson with a slip bag. With little more than a sock and dirt you could do this and be a better fighter for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r29536VGSE

Carver:

--- Quote ---Also, when I make a swan movement I imagine myself as the giant swan we saw at Ludwig's palace in Bavaria. It does have an effect. I think a lot of the soft arts are about this visualization and connection.
--- End quote ---
Got it, the idea of doing exercise is a turnoff, but identify it as something else and it is a blast. This reminds me of an evening of square dancing after which I was dripping in sweat, deep breathing and totally exhilarated. Do they still dance to rock n' roll anymore? I remember doing "The Twist" and all those other contortions on the dance floor. Ballroom dancing is good for that too, although we haven't done much of that.

David in MN:
Haha. We did ballroom before becoming parents. Waltz, foxtrot, samba, etc. But we used to love going to Nye's Polonaise Bar and do polka and shoot vodka. Then we'd sober up on our way home by hitting the Gasthaus zur Gemutlichkeit for a Haacker Pschorr alt Munchner dunkel and snuff before getting a pizza, deep  fried asparagus, and cocktails at Psycho Suzi's Motor Lodge.

Oh the Minnesota jokes just keep coming. I used to work walking distance to the Stone Arch Bridge and I live in the north burbs so going through Nordeast is like home to me.

I have neighbors big into square dance and that's all stopped. Just shows how with gyms closed and whatnot it is the time to pick up a little caveman training. I've always looked full-idiot with my boxing, sledge hammer, battle rope, kettle bell, box jumps, bear walk, and other fight training. Not today. And I do like the psychology of tossing the gloves in the yard and tying up the extra long "Mexican" wrist wraps.

You can do a lot of the things that pro boxers and MMA fighters do to train at home. Remember that fighting is the sport of the poor. You wanna see some crazy stuff? Watch boxers skip rope. Noe not only the footwork but the hand movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqwku_iHRv8

That can be done for free. I'm not saying I'm as good as the pros but I do my best. Just gives an idea what can happen when you split in something so simple into your workout.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version