Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

Something like chloroquine is in gin and tonic

(1/5) > >>

surfivor:
Quinine is a natural ingredient from bark but was used in gin and tonic, it appears thats how Gin and tonic was invented as a drink used to treat malaria by the British army officers . I guess it’s still in there but the article seems to say chloroquine is less toxic than quinine. Chloroquine is supposedly a synthetic form of quinine

Actually now that I think of it, alchohol is probably toxic too but they won’t ban that. That’s all what this article says anyway but I had never heard of such claims until just now

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/quinine-tonic-water-gin_n_5982994/amp?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABTK7KDFhnq7-aH02Q1f16eHO3mvDY74oJ0pHSc2wRixMhN-Z7V-kNDTo6HjmmdKzPfwn1XqmgH7OJgfPwJ2KXcjWuh_qeTohIzAcWZ-a32bc4AGB2nzouY9-3ByU7-f2EbhgdITh9SuzyN2SKjpnONSpoXZF76S8X8SvpMddL03

There's Quinine In Your Tonic, But What The Heck Is It, Anyway?
It's the reason your gin and tonics taste so good.

don't let that deter you from ordering a gin and tonic next time you're at the bar, because tonic water contains very low levels of quinine.

surfivor:
Another article .. head to the liquor store before there’s a run on tonic water ? Alex jones was just saying you can go out and buy two bottles of it and drink it yourself

https://www.healthline.com/health/quinine-in-tonic-water

Quinine was originally developed as a medicine to fight malaria. It was crucial in reducing the death rate of workers building the Panama Canal in the early 20th century.

Quinine, when found in small doses in tonic water, is safe to consume. The first tonic waters contained powdered quinine, sugar, and soda water. Tonic water has since become a common mixer with liquor, the most well-known combination being gin and tonic. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows tonic water to contain no more than 83 parts per million of quinine, because there can be side effects from quinine.

Today, people sometimes drink tonic water to treat nighttime leg cramps associated with circulatory or nervous system problems. However, this treatment is not recommended. Quinine is still given in in small doses to treat malaria in tropical regions.

LvsChant:
... and, whether it provides any protection or not, gin and tonic is delicious.

Bradbn4:
Hmm, quinine does have some benefits for such things as leg cramps.

I use to love a ice cold bottle of Tonic water with quinine.  However, some of the side effects scratched it off the list of things that I drink.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on March 24, 2020, 02:24:17 PM ---... and, whether it provides any protection or not, gin and tonic is delicious.

--- End quote ---

I think the taste is from the quinine. It’s funny that the FDA has banned quinine but its still in some tonic water brands though a bit reduced. I think it looks like if you drank  a gallon and a half or a couple of gallons you would get a pretty good dose but you might not have to drink it all at once

Maybe you could boil it down too so it’s more concentrated

Edit: I think you can just buy the cinchona bark itself

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version