Author Topic: Things you are during the CoronaVirus Stay@Home  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Things you are during the CoronaVirus Stay@Home
« on: March 17, 2020, 01:08:50 AM »
well, it hasn't started for you in the States yet, but we are on the 4th Stay@Home day over here. (voluntary ATM)
me:
- I am catching up on the reading for a bunch of Argonomist qualifications tests
- I took receipt of an APRS (digital messaging & positioning) cable to link my radio to my phone, and had a try
- Sorting files in the PC, and backing it up

other people are going crazy with online tutoring for their kids etc etc

now it is your turn, but only if you are really staying home.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:57:52 AM by Docwatmo »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Things you are doing the CoronaVirus Stay@Home
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 06:15:53 AM »
we homeschool and hubby works from home.  In a lot of ways this won't be too different, and I have been told it is not starting until tomorrow.  And we have 12 acres, so we can totally go outside and still be in quarantine.

but

we do have co-ops, and lessons, and my older son works at a restaurant.  And sometimes we go to friend's houses just to play.

I went to Home Depot and picked up some supplies to refinish some wood work in the house.  One set of lessons we have been attending is Woodworking, and we have learned how to take distressed wood and make it look new and pretty.  So I am going to have the kids help me with that this week.

the kids want a read-a-thon, complete with popcorn and treats on the carpet.  I am not sure how I feel about that, but maybe I will go for it with the stipulation that they read a book outside their normal; we have a 2000 book library downstairs, that is a doable stipulation.

we have also talked about making some new recipes - "cheese-its" "spinikopita" (thanks for the tips on that Greekman)

maybe prepare the garden area for planting

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:00:30 AM »
it is spa-na-ko-pi-ta..accented at the Ko..do not know what recipe for the filling you have, but most add feta cheese along with some spring onions with the spinach

what is cheese-its? if it has cheese and it is cooked I want to know. ;)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 07:09:16 AM »
it is spa-na-ko-pi-ta..accented at the Ko..do not know what recipe for the filling you have,

see, transliterations are just weird - why for example, did English transliterate any Greek "phi" as "ph" instead of "f" weirdos.  (or, I cannot spell.... take your pick  ;)

oh, and I do not have a recipe yet....  I just used to buy them at a little bakery near Parc Jarry in Montreal.  mmmm... yummy.

what is cheese-its? if it has cheese and it is cooked I want to know. ;)

https://www.fivehearthome.com/homemade-cheese-crackers/

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »
Aaahhhgggg, MS you are a bad woman and I'm going to find you........and shake your hand. ;D Those cheese crackers sound delicious besides being easy to make. And addictive.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:39:30 AM »
Aaahhhgggg, MS you are a bad woman and I'm going to find you........and shake your hand. ;D Those cheese crackers sound delicious besides being easy to make. And addictive.

I have a weird allergy to fake cheese - doritos, cheesits, mac and cheese, etc.  But man alive, they taste so good!  I am hoping that these little crackers will satisfy my cravings!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Things you are during the CoronaVirus Stay@Home
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »
We stay home most of the time anyway, as we're both retired. We bought this place to retire on and we did. Spent years fixing it up (still fixing  ::) ).

So this virus thing won't change much for us, but will have second thoughts about making trips to town.

Prepared...yes we are. 6 months of most meds, 2 years of food.
If it gets bad enough the elec goes down, we have enough gas to run the gen off and on for several months, giving us time to can our frozen meat, a few lights, pump water, etc.
I've never got a hand pump in place to pump well water in place of the well pump. So there's that to deal with, but we do have stored water.
And like MS, we can go outside anytime without running into someone on our 31 acres.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
We stay home most of the time anyway, as we're both retired. We bought this place to retire on and we did. Spent years fixing it up (still fixing  ::) ).

So this virus thing won't change much for us, but will have second thoughts about making trips to town.

Prepared...yes we are. 6 months of most meds, 2 years of food.
If it gets bad enough the elec goes down, we have enough gas to run the gen off and on for several months, giving us time to can our frozen meat, a few lights, pump water, etc.
I've never got a hand pump in place to pump well water in place of the well pump. So there's that to deal with, but we do have stored water.
And like MS, we can go outside anytime without running into someone on our 31 acres.

Internet is dragging today. Overloaded maybe??

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »

Prayer and meditation are getting a bigger priority

I can always practice the guitar, do kung fu in my living room area, research real estate in Maine etc

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
Lots of cooking. Lots. We've made cookies, churned ice cream, had a nacho party with homemade salsas, etc. I'm doing the corned beef tonight as I finish my bone broth for a German mushroom dumpling soup. Also got 2 racks of ribs to grill (in the midst of a food panic ribs were 2 for 1) so one of these days I'm getting the grill going.

We play lots of games, have a near nightly cocktail hour with the neighbors before dinner to vent a little, and watch a bunch of movies. My wife is reading tons and I have done some badly needed home repair.

We also did some seed starting as the timing syncs with our zone. My little one loves gardening so we had some fun with that project.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »
We aren't shutdown yet.  But I have my list ready.

• Finish building a Power Supply
  • Finish building the Antenna analyzer (3d print a case)
  • Finish building the uBitx radio (3d print a case)
  • Clear out the garden
  • cut the vines on the fence
  • Cut the fruit trees that are not doing what I want
  • run the network cable to the garden AP
  • Clear out junk and make a dump run
  • Get the oil tank out of the basement
  • Build a home automation system https://randomnerdtutorials.com/build-a-home-automation-system-for-100/
  • Hit the Shooting range if it's open
  • Start learning to design stuff in CAD to 3d print.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 04:05:40 PM »
I broke the law and allowed 2 non-biological family college students into my house. 

They had no idea what craziness was going on around here until they crossed the border last night, they have been driving across country for a few days.

They stayed somewhere else when got in late last night, a sibling of one of them.  I got a call this morning from the ones frantic out of state parent worried that offspring would have no where to stay.  This young person had reservations to fly out of CA tomorrow to parents house.  This is all off the table now.  Too worried about airports, getting there but not being able to return, etc....  I said of course the young person always has a place here, and the friend as it is a package deal.  So, they were handed a N95 mask on the front porch, and directed to wash hands.  They had to eat when I was out of the room, social distancing, although we are more likely a risk to them given where they came from, but they stop along the way, get gas, food, etc.. so many possible vectors.   While they were here it was worked out that they can stay with siblings family for now.  I had to have them leave the masks though, as I have very few, the masks will be in timeout for a week without being touched, and maybe no-one else will need to touch them.  But, this could be a long haul, and no masks to be found. 

It was nice catching up, even so.  I dont know what they will do long term.  The one I know, part time job by the college is now gone.  classes are canceled.  I would imagine will go back to apartment by the out of state college ?  What else to do ?  Has no home base left with parent, parent moved to out-of-state retirement home when student started college. But, always knows can stay here.   

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
I'm working on the kitchen cabinets, countertops right now. Using an 1/8" solid surface veneer on 1-1/8" core. I have 8 routers, I think maybe more, and some need some maintenance long overdue. I popped one of the brushes out of a Porter-Cable as it was sparking and now I can't get the doggone thing back in. The Stanley-Bostitch finish nailer trigger is leaking so I've got that pulled apart to replace either the entire trigger or the O-rings. I finally tore apart an old Dell computer running Win 98 and am slavaging the metal. I moved an Onkyo beast of a receiver into the shop and am looking for some speakers for that. I need a good antennae for that.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 05:19:40 AM »
Now that many folks commute time has dwindled down to nothing...

Working on my basement bathroom to defunkify it and turn it into a work from home area. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 08:35:58 AM »
We are in the middle of finishing up our new home, so we've concentrated on getting everything we need delivered so that we don't have to go out any more than absolutely necessary. We may need a few more last-minute trips to Lowe's for odds and ends, but mostly it is sitting in the garage ready for finishing up.

Cabinets are nearly completely installed... working on appliance installation now. Countertop measurement guy supposed to come and laser measure on Monday... still need to finish tiling and hardwood floors and finish plumbing... also installation of closet systems, built-in bookcases, etc. Trying to get the propane tank installed and filled... quite a bit to do, but we have many projects and will not be bored :)

Not the ideal time to be doing this, but can't change that fact... I also need to get my garden planted...

Offline DDJ

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »
I am trying to remember that I am supposed to be working for my employer and not doing stuff during the day.  That is a lot of work besides the work that I am supposed to be doing.

We are spending  a lot of the time chasing the chickens out of the yard next door.  But allowing them to forage is saving on feed prices and mixing the gardens.

Spending time studying for the HAM license tests we are planning on taking (both Technician and General) next week.  Testing is not canceled yet although it moved to a new location.  Researching HAM rigs trying to decide how much to spend.  Trying to decide on an antenna build or buy.  need to decide on radio first because the bands will be dictated by the radio.

Got 24 meet birds chirping away in the next room.  Lots to do there to create a new run for them. It will be connected to the garden so that gets fenced in at the same time.

We took 4 eggs to each house touching ours on Sunday telling them that we are getting a few more than we need if you need help yell.  Had nice chats with the owners 3 of the 4 were open to building community and working together.  The forth was a little more reserved, but not off the table I think.

I guess I a as busy as I feel I am.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 12:54:51 AM »
My college student offspring helped in the garden today, alot of digging out himalayan blackberries, this included  re-newing and area back to raspberries, and also planted 9 caroline raspberry canes there. 

We also re-organized the bedding linen closet and inventoried contents.

Last night college student hung out with a group pf young people on zoom, a virtual saint patricks day as they complied with the  lockdown.  I think they played pictionary and talked and some drank, etc...

basically, student is goind stir crazy, digging up balckerries helped

Tomorrow student is going to hopefully meet an old friend outdoors to walk and talk
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:16:00 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 09:20:48 AM »
Business as usual here at home. Feeding the critters, working on the never ending todo list. After 25 years on this place, I've determined I'll never get caught up doing projects/maintenance on a small farm.

Have one more trip out kinda planned to get our pig back from the butcher's, then we'll stick it out here.

I enjoy stocking/keeping up with our storeroom and supplies, and will be more into it more than ever probably.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 11:41:54 AM »
I'm going through our bag and backpack collection. Over the years as we upgrade our travel luggage we stuff the old one into a closet never to be seen again. I don't know why we kept ones with broken zippers, missing and torn parts, perhaps nostalgia. Because this bag reminds me of our anniversary trip one year, is that a good enough reason to hang on to it, especially considering it can't be used because the bag is torn by the strap? I have checked all the pockets to see if I had left a $100 bill in one, but nothing so far.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »
I would do it anyway sometime, but the general situation expedited it.

Worked on making 3 types of multiband antennas (146 & 220MHz). Only one designed worked well enough.
As always testing was done outdoors in the mountain kiosk I frequent

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 07:58:52 PM »
I'm going through our bag and backpack collection. Over the years as we upgrade our travel luggage we stuff the old one into a closet never to be seen again. I don't know why we kept ones with broken zippers, missing and torn parts, perhaps nostalgia. Because this bag reminds me of our anniversary trip one year, is that a good enough reason to hang on to it, especially considering it can't be used because the bag is torn by the strap? I have checked all the pockets to see if I had left a $100 bill in one, but nothing so far.

oh this sounds so familiar!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »
Student and I constructed a new 4ft x 12ft redwood garden bed, galvanized hardware cloth had stapes hammered in every inch. We moved some dirt and releveled its spot.  Then the hard part was turning it right side up and carrying it to place, that thing is heavy for me to try and hold up my end.  It is in place and filled.  That was all new wood,commercially local grown and milled, the long sides 2"x12", the short sides 1"x12" to save $$.

Since I am supposed to not leave burn piles around, will be a fire hazard soon, we decided to go ahead and burn last night and let the 3 other students join in.  I think they tried hard to keep the requisite 6 ft or more apart.  The stars were so beautiful, with the red sparks going up towards them, frogs and interesting bird/critter noises in the background.  I got rid of the 6 pack of dechutes black porter I had in the fridge.  They shared some whiskey in separate coffee mugs after I went in. Early, when it was just the one extra student, I pulled out the frozen veggie dogs and buns I bought last month for a virus cheer up evening, and found some marshmallows.  I had hand sanatizer out there and said no touching of condiments without doing hands, and I had to clean off when brought back into house. I know this is some small risk to me, but it realy did cheer us all up alot. Before I went in, I did mention to out of state student that sooner rather than later to get back to MT seems a good idea.  I did not elaborate.  None of the extra students entered my house ( they wandered away from the fire when needed to do their business and used hand sanatizer), and they came in separate cars, so this is all real good habits to get them into compared to how some young people in other parts of the country are spending their spring break. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:06:28 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
I'm rediscovering what it means to be an American. I'm not trying to put down other countries but we have a unique shared identity as countrymen. It might sound trite to other peoples but I get the luxury of having neighbors born in Africa, India, Korea, etc. and I'm just a little Polish kid with roots in Chicago. It's kind of nice to disconnect from society to take a walk and chat up a stranger. Granted we keep our distance but there's a heartwarming feeling that all my neighbors are like my extended family and a couple minutes of well-wishes and commiserating that our kids are a little stir crazy reminds me that we're all more alike than different and we all want to see each other thrive.

Doesn't hurt that I offer pours of Lagavulin 16 on my block. Yes, David is pouring a $70 bottle of Scotch but man do the people smile. And it plays to my bias to laugh at the Devil while living this ride to the fullest. As Daneili Bolleli starts his history podcast, "fuck pain, fuck heartache; I'm still in love with life."

There's this wonderful tribe of people not held together by ethnic or familial relations but by a belief in freedom and the greatness of the unshackled hand and we call them Americans.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 07:16:28 PM »
We had a couple come over and hang out in our yard.  They needed somewhere to let their dog run off leash for a little while. They live in a small city with a tiny yard.  Since our yard is fenced in and there are no other dogs to bully her she had a grand time running around and playing in our garden pond.  We all sat around on lawn chairs at  safe distances and chatted for an hour or so. 

I have been doing some batch cooking, canning bone broth and working on making some quilts.  It will be a hand made Christmas this year so I am starting now. 

DH and I have been taking advantage of the early spring weather here and working in the garden.  I have been clean beds and pruning trees, vines, and shrubs.  DH is putting up fencing and working the seating area next to the garden pond. 

We have done very little in the house other than getting caught up on laundry and decluttering the office.  We should be doing more decluttering but working outside is more fun.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »

we have also talked about making some new recipes - "cheese-its"

https://www.fivehearthome.com/homemade-cheese-crackers/

so we made these today.  We made 3 half-batches.  they use whole wheat flour and real cheese, so I am totally ok with these as a snack!
Sharp Cheddar
Swiss
Pepper Jack

the cheddar were really yummy.  Not as orange as her pictures, but had good flavor
the swiss were bland.  She mentions in her recipe that you should use SHARP cheddar, so maybe that is why.  Swiss cheese just doesn't have the bite I remember as a kid.
The pepper jack were my favorite.

and because we are nerds here, the cheddar were triangles (equilateral, if you please)
the swiss were squares
and the PJ were parallelograms diamonds rhombus - there was an argument about what to call them.  Like I said... we are nerds  ;D

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 09:25:53 AM »
and i have sooo much cheese in there.  and flour. 

Offline suzysurvivor

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 09:36:07 AM »
between being with my son while he was sick most of last year and then just being in a complete depression after his death, my house looks like a bomb went off in it.   I'm still mostly unmotivated but have started going thru and scrubbing and decluttering.  I am sure I will be done before the pandemic is over---and i expect the pandemic to last until late summer. 

I'm retired but my husband works in healthcare so he can't...nor would he...stop working.  He IS slated to retire Sept 1 but that seems like a long damn way away right now. I'm just terrified that he'll catch it and die.  The bright side is that we live in fairly rural Maine so our chances are better than if he still worked in the hospital system in Taxachusetts.

I want to start setting aside time each day for 'mindfulness' time.  Devotional reading, meditation, disconnection from social media.  Maybe i will start that today.  I am really hoping people start seeing this quarantine as less of a 'punishment' and more of an opportunity to reconnect with what's important:  family, nature, quietness and, yes, our very souls.  Sort of a 'be still and know that I am God' time.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 10:43:51 AM »
So sorry for your loss, Suzy... and for the stress you must be feeling with your DH still out on the front lines.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 10:48:20 AM »
Suzy consider the house chores part of your "mindfulness time" project.
I ahve personnaly used this "technique". Doing chores at home and creative hobbies (one with materialistic output), offers a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. That helped me go through aprolonged unemployment period at the start of the greek economic crisis.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2020, 04:23:24 PM »
Worked to get my electronics components organized a bit.

Also dug out a couple of the trees that grew up in the garden.