Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

Preparing for the inevitable outbreak

(1/44) > >>

BillyS:
Well, today they said we should prepare for the worst and that it was a matter of when and not if.

I am not someone who overreacts or panics. I live in Hurricane Alley and have been following this forum for years. And as it happened, around Thanksgiving, Home Depot had mega packs of the 3M facemasks on sale and I have a lot of hobbies so I stocked up and now I have a bunch.

Headed out to the store(s) tomorrow to shore up the preps just to feel better about things. As I inventory stuff, I'm pretty good on food, could probably use a case or two extra of water, and I'm probably going to go heavy with TP and paper towels. Everything else I can think of revolves around entertaining the kids and waiting out a quarantine or shelter in place order for a while-- games for the kids, booze, jigsaw puzzles, etc.

Anything I may be missing?

FreeLancer:
I'm able to complete 95% of my consulting business from home via telecommuting, but I also spend a couple days per week in a secure office setting doing similar work for an employer that currently restricts me from accessing files from home.  Tomorrow I'm going to bring that up and push for an IT solution that will allow me to work from home.  There's HIPPA compliance and other legal issues to worry about, but it's not an insurmountable problem, and it's easier to tackle now than it may be in the future.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: BillyS on February 25, 2020, 08:18:55 PM ----- games for the kids, booze, jigsaw puzzles, etc.
--- End quote ---

I'm going to pick up a few cases tomorrow at Costco, along with beans, rice, cheese, dog food, and the Energizer Lithium Ultimate AA's they currently have in stock.

Make sure you're at least 30 days ahead on any Rx medications, too.  Pharmacies are going to be loaded with sick people when this pandemic kicks off.

ChEng:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on February 25, 2020, 10:25:32 PM ---... Tomorrow I'm going to bring that up and push for an IT solution that will allow me to work from home. There's HIPPA compliance and other legal issues to worry about, but it's not an insurmountable problem, ...

--- End quote ---
I used to work for the local Blue Cross/Blue Shield carrier here. We were heavily HIPPA oriented, but they did allow working from home, so it can be done. What we did though, was to allow only company-provided/ company equipped computers (so they had only company-approved, HIPPA-cleared software.) Then the employee connected to the company network through VPN, which provided plenty enough security for HIPPA.

If you work with a small company, check into OpenVNC. Try to show your boss that it has strong enough security to cover HIPPA requirements. If it is a large enough company, then it probably already has VPN set up.

David in MN:
I did a little assessment of the things I like to have when I am sick. I'm assuming supply of OTC fever/pain meds, cough syrup, cough drops, etc. might be tight so I stocked up.

Otherwise I got some "stuff I can choke down" foods. When I'm really in the throes sometimes it's all I can do to drink an Ensure or Musclemilk just to get calories and vitamins.

Otherwise food and distraction go hand in hand if you're bugging in. Have a few pantry staples to make chocolate chip cookies or a Key Lime pie with the kids. It's a good time to dig out the cookbooks and (assuming you have some basics) make some treats.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version