Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Ideal rifle caliber for medium size game

<< < (11/11)

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: ChrisFox on December 29, 2017, 08:30:35 AM ---Thompson has a rebate for their rifles so I picked up a Thompson/Center Compass in 6.5 Creedmore for stupid cheap. I've been wanting to try out the new caliber out. It's pretty smooth. Great range, plenty of power and doesn't kill your shoulder when you shoot all day. Ammo is still kind of expensive but it's available. It's basicly the modern 6.5x55 swede but everyone and their brother is making a rifle in it.

--- End quote ---

I like the 6.5mm caliber a lot.  Excellent ballistic coefficient on the bullets, heavy enough to easily take deer size game, yet lighter enough to make a noticeable difference in felt recoil.  For myself I like the .270/.30-06 as an all-around cartridge, but not everyone in the family likes the recoil.  The .243 seems to give marginal results and is very dependent on having a premium quality bullet.  I think the .257 and .264 calibers are in the sweet spot for medium game and everyone in the family.  Personally I have a couple of 6.5x55 Swede rifles, but the .260 and now the 6.5 Creedmore are excellent as well.  And the 6.5C seems to finally be breaking through on popularity thanks to precision rifle competitions.  Congrats on your rifle deal!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version