News > General News

Identifying fake news stories

<< < (2/9) > >>

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on May 10, 2016, 08:12:12 PM ---I've also seen "news" that originates entirely in someone's imagination and ends up being presented as hard news on a mainstream site.

--- End quote ---

And here's an article describing how and why it happens.  This example is from the Russian press, but I'm sure it applies (with different details) in other parts of the world.

How Fake Stories Reported in Russia's News Media Regularly Fool Everyone

--- Quote ---...Every time, the method is exactly the same, and every time, unfortunately, it works: Oppps.ru writes up some “news” with some colorful quote by a famous figure and always cites a well-known media outlet (often a foreign publication). Usually it’s the BBC (sometimes it’s Deutsche Welle), and the author of these fake news stories is usually listed as the real Moscow correspondent for these news agencies, to add extra plausibility.

The pseudo-news story first appears on some backwater or specialized website, and then from there it makes its way to the “big” outlets. ... And once a news story appears in the feeds of Interfax, TASS, or RIA, it’s already been made the truth by default. ...

Then, of course, somebody gets it into their head actually to look at the real website of the foreign media outlet, and they find out that the public figure never said anything like what was reported, and maybe they didn’t even give an interview to the publication in the first place.

At about this point, Oppps.ru deletes the original “news story” from its website, and so the original source is lost. ...
--- End quote ---

Smurf Hunter:
Funny, I was reading this just this morning:

http://sparks-31.blogspot.com/2016/09/fake-news-sites-and-news-stories.html

mgw44:
Read the Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes.  Almost all "news" is fake and is written to sell you something. Once you start reading articles with the insight from Chet Holmes you recognize that what you are reading is an strategic effort to sell you something.  For example, every article by the Motley Fool is to lead you into their subscription service.

As another example at least one company in this article probably wrote the article and had it published on Yahoo to sell you Starbucks, or Jones soda.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/try-9-disgusting-holiday-drinks-slideshow-wp-214043963.html

Finally, all this fake news conversation and the Russia storyline is to detract you from the fact that Hillary and many of her colleagues are criminals.

From the very simple article to the very complex widespread storylines expect that you are being sold something.

mgw44

CPT Morgan:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on September 12, 2016, 04:57:51 PM ---Funny, I was reading this just this morning:

http://sparks-31.blogspot.com/2016/09/fake-news-sites-and-news-stories.html
--- End quote ---

Interesting tid-bit from the above link....  Notice the ".com.co" before the first slash. That's a good indication that it is a satire or fake news site.

CPT Morgan:
We all continue to see or hear people commenting about fake news sites.  That said, do any of you find more and more people now using this as an excuse to discount information being spread across social media?... 

What I mean is...  Information being discounted simply because it doesn't fit their own agenda?  I ask, because I've fact checked a few claims promoted by so-called fake news sites and the information actually checked out.

Just because a news site has been deemed a site for "fake news" doesn't mean that everything they share is fake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version