News > General News

Identifying fake news stories

<< < (4/9) > >>

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on April 30, 2017, 03:22:35 PM ---Chris Martensen interviews Melissa Zimdars about fake news and how to identify it: https://www.peakprosperity.com/podcast/108594/melissa-zimdars-truth-about-fake-news

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that was a good interview.

The site with the list is http://www.opensources.co/

At the moment, it's a nerdy mess to try to use their data.  The easiest way is to click Download, download the ZIP file, un-zip it, find the file sources/sources.csv, and import that into a spreadsheet.  Note that a few of the listed sites are marked "reliable", so not everything on the list is evil.

I think the most important (and least controversial) tags are "fake" and "satire".  If people merely stopped sharing stories from these sites as real, that would be a huge improvement.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on April 30, 2017, 07:58:43 PM ---At the moment, it's a nerdy mess to try to use their data.  The easiest way is to click Download, download the ZIP file, un-zip it, find the file sources/sources.csv, and import that into a spreadsheet.  Note that a few of the listed sites are marked "reliable", so not everything on the list is evil.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Mr. Bill.  Here's a direct link to it human-formatted at google docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10eA5-mCZLSS4MQY5QGb5ewC3VAL6pLkT53V_81ZyitM/preview
At least, I think it's all there; didn't do an exhaustive comparison.  The listing of questionable news sites is good, but the preceding list of, well, bullshit detection steps is worthwhile too.

--- Quote ---I think the most important (and least controversial) tags are "fake" and "satire".  If people merely stopped sharing stories from these sites as real, that would be a huge improvement.

--- End quote ---
Man, that's the truth.  It's fun to sample satire (I'm getting to be a big Jonathan Pie fan after all) but for Pete's sake people, recognize it for what it is.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on April 30, 2017, 03:22:35 PM ---Chris Martensen interviews Melissa Zimdars about fake news and how to identify it: https://www.peakprosperity.com/podcast/108594/melissa-zimdars-truth-about-fake-news
Links to her group's fake news list and how-to-identify guide included.  She and Chris hash it out a little over the danger of labeling something as "fake news" or "conspiracy theory" etc.  Interesting stuff.

--- End quote ---

I agree with the commentors over there ( peak prosperity), like AKGranny, though, that it is dangerous to label as fake. SO, I dissagree with her project.

RitaRose1945:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on April 30, 2017, 08:46:33 PM ---It's fun to sample satire (I'm getting to be a big Jonathan Pie fan after all) but for Pete's sake people, recognize it for what it is.

--- End quote ---

Yes, this.  I used to share posts that I believed were clearly satire, but I realized just how many people honestly thought they were real.  So now I'll click Like, but I very rarely share them anymore.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: mountainmoma on May 01, 2017, 12:26:16 AM ---I agree with the commentors over there ( peak prosperity), like AKGranny, though, that it is dangerous to label as fake. SO, I dissagree with her project.

--- End quote ---
It can be dangerous, but sometimes you've just got to make the judgement call.  At least she's open with her methods and not calling for .gov to shut anybody down.  I appreciate her culling operation.  Of course, I don't take everything she and her team post as the absolute truth either.

--- Quote from: RitaRose1945 on May 01, 2017, 08:16:40 AM ---Yes, this.  I used to share posts that I believed were clearly satire, but I realized just how many people honestly thought they were real.

--- End quote ---
Yeah Rita, not everybody out there has a finely tuned BS detector, and isn't as attuned to sorting through facts as the regulars around this place.  Just a fact of life.  Likewise, I've really dialed back on forwarding satire and jokes.  A lot of people just don't get'em, or take them too seriously.  Even forwarding the DHMO* site has gotten a few friends (who I was sure would know better) caught out red-faced.

----

*DHMO = dihydrogen monoxide = H2O = water.  It's a deliberately alarming site, completely faked up, designed to ridicule people who automatically go to "chemical bad."  Fake?  Definitely.  Satire?  Hilariously!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version