News > General News

Identifying fake news stories

<< < (3/9) > >>

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: CPT Morgan on March 21, 2017, 02:10:33 PM ---We all continue to see or hear people commenting about fake news sites.  That said, do any of you find more and more people now using this as an excuse to discount information being spread across social media?... 

What I mean is...  Information being discounted simply because it doesn't fit their own agenda? ...

--- End quote ---

Yup, continuously.

--- Quote from: CPT Morgan on March 21, 2017, 02:10:33 PM ---... I ask, because I've fact checked a few claims promoted by so-called fake news sites and the information actually checked out.

Just because a news site has been deemed a site for "fake news" doesn't mean that everything they share is fake.

--- End quote ---

This is tricky.  I think you have to really try to analyze what the site is doing.  (Like anyone has time for that...)

For example, there are some sites that mix truth and fakery.  Sometimes they will copy or rewrite stories from mainstream news sources, and also post completely fictional fraudulent stories on the same site.  Sometimes (especially on satire sites) they will start a story with real info and then add on a bunch of silly stuff that looks just barely believable.  Some sites are literally Russian propaganda vehicles (e.g., RT), but they need to retain an aura of respectability -- and some sites, e.g. the Washington Post, are so obviously anti-Trump it's ridiculous -- and in both cases, they'll be reporting stuff that is mostly the truth, but with certain things emphasized and other things omitted so as to fit their message.

I think it's unfortunate that the term "fake news" is being applied to merely biased news.  I'd rather see it reserved for stories that are literally complete fiction.

CPT Morgan:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on March 21, 2017, 02:32:42 PM ---I think it's unfortunate that the term "fake news" is being applied to merely biased news.  I'd rather see it reserved for stories that are literally complete fiction.
--- End quote ---

Agreed.

LVWood:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on March 21, 2017, 02:32:42 PM ---I think it's unfortunate that the term "fake news" is being applied to merely biased news.  I'd rather see it reserved for stories that are literally complete fiction.

--- End quote ---
Isn't it unfortunate those biased news outlets have been publishing complete fiction.

RitaRose1945:

--- End quote ---

I agree.  There are definitely various shades of this.

To me, fake news deliberately creates stories out of whole cloth in attempt to spread what they know to be lies.

Biased news will either only report stories that further their agenda, or will spin stories in a way that someone without that same agenda wouldn't even recognize it.

Two completely different things.

For me, once I have been lied to twice, I'm pretty much out.  Biased news?  I will read it with a very large grain of salt, then search elsewhere for sources that either confirm or refute the story.

Alan Georges:
Chris Martensen interviews Melissa Zimdars about fake news and how to identify it: https://www.peakprosperity.com/podcast/108594/melissa-zimdars-truth-about-fake-news
Links to her group's fake news list and how-to-identify guide included.  She and Chris hash it out a little over the danger of labeling something as "fake news" or "conspiracy theory" etc.  Interesting stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version