Author Topic: Anyone else her in CO seeing this....  (Read 748 times)

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
Anyone else her in CO seeing this....
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
this is excerpted from a letter I saw this morning on Rawles site from a guy in CO

I saw the article on how Cabela’s shares surged based on gun sales. Let me tell you, we are in the midst of a feeding frenzy here in Colorado.

First, its not just guns, its all of the accessories as well. I had to return some items from Christmas to Sportsman’s Warehouse and found that the whole gun department was basically empty. They only had some black powder firearms and a couple of shotguns. Nothing else. I had run into this before Christmas when I bought my two oldest boys new elk rifles – and got the last .308 bolt action and the last .30-06 bolt action to be had. But I figured after Christmas things would be better. Well, they are not. So unless you shoot something odd like a .22-250 forget getting ammunition right now let alone a gun. And the cleaning kits were sold out as well. And holsters, ammo belts – you name it and if it was shooting related it was gone.

Now in my wanderings in the store I also found that communications gear is also disappearing off the shelves. I had a brief conversation with the kid that was working there and it turns out that this is another trend they are seeing. Basically all of the walkie-talkie units that can take ear buds or microphones are gone. The only things left are some cheap FRS units. The same thing was at work with the flashlights – all of the better units (like the Surefire models) were gone. I begin to wonder what is at work here – am I being paranoid or is this the next run on “near tactical” equipment?

Now I shoot as much as I can when I am in country so I go through a lot of reloading supplies and bulk ammunition. I have been told by some of the national dealers that I buy from (in bulk lots of 10 cases per caliber per order) that they are almost all sold out as well. One sales person related to me that they had run through over 10,000 cases of .223 that week alone and could not keep any in stock. Common calibers are gone – 9mm, .45 ACP, .38/.357, .223, .308, 7.62x39 – and less common ones such as the .40 are hard to get. So unless you happen to be shooting something that is very uncommon, keep your eyes open. I did however with a week of scrounging manage to come up with one box of 7.62 match grade ammo – the 175 grain M118 loading. Fortunately my long range precision gun likes this ammo so I bought it.

This is one trend that if you were not way out in front and loading up on ammunition, guns, and accessories, you would not be able to catch up now. - Hugh D.

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
Re: Anyone else her in CO seeing this....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »
Yep, commercial ammo is hard to come by.  I was up at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day and not only are they low on ammo (sold out completely of some of the common calibers), but there weren't many guns left either.

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »
I was over at Big 5 at 120th and Washington and they had plenty of stuff.

small store and out of the way but may be worthwhile..

Marshal16

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »
Yeah, seems to be the situation.

Offline aeaas

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I noticed the same thing when I was in SW; Gander Mountain seemed to have a good amount of ammo though. I was surprised to see .223

I try to get up to Jensen's Arms once a month and last month they had enough ammo to make the trip worth it.

Any heading to the Tanner gun show this weekend; I'm hoping to get down there Sunday, hope to find some .40 there.

ldmaster

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »
Sportsmans Warehouse has been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for several months now.  Their suppliers were unwilling to continue to not get paid, which explains why their gun racks are empty as well as their ammo supply.  I have had no trouble finding ammo at Gander, Big 5 and even Wally World - the prices have been somewhat higher, but not too outrageous.  The gun stores do seem to have the stuff I would want, except that I already have what I want, but the prices are outrageous because they feel the need to gouge us. 

Offline Master Guns

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »
It hit California right after the election.
You will find wal-mart ammo gone the day it arrives.
Guns are higher in cost as they put the prices up as so many want them.

Such is the way most people see things going.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »
Sportsmans Warehouse has been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for several months now.  Their suppliers were unwilling to continue to not get paid, which explains why their gun racks are empty as well as their ammo supply.  I have had no trouble finding ammo at Gander, Big 5 and even Wally World - the prices have been somewhat higher, but not too outrageous.  The gun stores do seem to have the stuff I would want, except that I already have what I want, but the prices are outrageous because they feel the need to gouge us. 

Same up here in AK.  Sportsman's Whorehouse has been very bad about keeping rounds in stock to include reloading supplies >:(.  Not happy with them.  Wierd thing is that we are getting alot of the Russian Wolf .223 ammo.  Eitherway, ammo here don't stay on the shelf long, especially after word gets out. 

BP

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »
I'm surprised that Sportsmans Warehouse is getting much of anything, just yet.

They're currently undergoing Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.  Until it's settled, I think their credit line is going to be tanked.

The Professor.