Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

Encrypted MURS Voice Communications?

(1/11) > >>

backwoods_engineer:
Probably some of you are already using MURS radios (151 MHz) already.  I own a little electronics design company, and I am thinking of doing some accessories for survivalists using these and other two-way radios that have mike/headset jacks.

So, please chime in and tell me what you think of the product I am thinking of developing in the next few months:

The OPSEC Encrypted radio headset mike for MURS and FRS radio

Features:
- Built into a headset microphone set (similar to wired headsets for cell phones)
- Allows two or more radios using these headsets programmed with the same 16-digit code to communicate with a reasonable expectation of COMPLETE privacy.
- Industrial-strength encryption (not AES, though, so I can export it to other countries)
- 16-digit personalized encryption code, set by plugging the headset into USB port on computer (USB cord and software CD included)
- Internal battery runs >50 hours continuously, charges from USB (or possibly from the radio itself)

Retail price: $59.95

Thoughts and Comments Please.

--Backwoods Engineer
Nichetronix.com and HamHUD.net

DeltaEchoVictor:
A hypothetical here... ;)

Say someone had some 2M mobile gear that was modded to tx out of band & could tx on the frequencies you're suggesting, would it be possible for you put something together that would encrypt ooooh, say a 2M yaesu...ya know, just hypothetically?

I'd be in for the other thing too, BTW. ;)

ejsandstrom:
Just my .02

First great idea. I don't even own any radios due to no COMSEC. I would buy these in a heart beat.

Now my suggestion.

First don't build it into a headset. Make it modular. So say if you had a headset in your bike helmet, a throat mic, and maybe one other. Not only that but headsets break and I could have 2 or 3 back ups. If the battery goes dead, you could pull the additional piece out of the mix and still have comms. A secondary piece would also allow a larger battery. My bluetooth is great but it goes dead quick. The USB recharge is great. A small solar panel could recharge it fairly easily.

Second, make it AES. Don't worry about export. I say it for this reason. Say you export to the UK and a guy buys 10 and ships them to Asscrackastan, and they get used by some bad guys to carry out an attack. I would feel like shit. And realistically what are your projected international sales?

The Professor:
I'd have to agree with the modularity suggestion.

Even if the microphone is waterproof/shockproof, the possibility of it getting damaged is great.

Not to mention, that I, personally, don't much care for headsets.

My commo gear is set up as a throat mic or in-ear mike with remote PTT.  This feels better when you're wearing it a long time and doesn't interfere with my cheek-to-stock weld.

Not to mention, the ability to swap from between a handheld and vehicle-mounted radio would be KILLER!

If you came up with such a contraption, I'd pay twice the price!

The Professor.

backwoods_engineer:

--- Quote from: DeltaEchoVictor on February 25, 2009, 04:14:33 AM ---A hypothetical here... ;)

Say someone had some 2M mobile gear that was modded to tx out of band & could tx on the frequencies you're suggesting, would it be possible for you put something together that would encrypt ooooh, say a 2M yaesu...ya know, just hypothetically?

I'd be in for the other thing too, BTW. ;)

--- End quote ---

DeltaEchoVictor,

What I'm proposing would work on any 2-way radio with suitable audio jacks, and/or cable adapters.   So, yes, it should work on your out-of-band-TX ham radio.  I have a Kenwood ham radio that also works fine on FRS.

And, while we both know that encryption over amateur radio is illegal, in a TEOTWAKI situation, we might think differently about it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version