Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

Seasonal Affective Disorder what helps you?

<< < (11/12) > >>

Evelyn Mitchell:
I realize this is a little past the time you posted your topic. But I have found color to be useful, typically in the yellows, from lime to deep yellows almost to noticing a touch of orange.
My father was sort of melancholy in the winter months so I put a yellow film/filter in the lampshade across from him near the porch door, so that as the sun went down and the lights came on he would be facing the yellow lamp light. It really helped to lighten his mood. I used a lemon yellow that I got from "Pegasus Lighting & Stage Equipment Inc", Southfield MI 248-353-6130, Roscoline filters, 809 and 871 two different yellows to make the lemon color. I didn't use this next company but it was recommended to me, "Products on Demand" Stamford CT, 203-322-1774, Both companies have websites if you search their name.
I had heard that color effects out emotions, sometimes profoundly, so I gave it a try. I had also heard that the new lights CFL and  others were lacking most of the yellow color in their spectrum. So I figured it couldn't hurt to add some of that back to the light that entered his eyes.

I don't think anything can replace sunlight, but getting more yellow into our visible spectrum may be just enough to keep us off the edge of the bridge.

Morning Sunshine:
I did not have it growing up in Utah.  The skies are blue all winter, unless there is a storm, then it dumps and goes away to blue skies again.  Cold blue skies.
My first winter in upstate NY. oooh boy.  I had a friend who counted 87 consecutive days of cloud cover (although now that I look at that, I am not sure how she could have done that.  Maybe it was 87 consecutive days we were on campus, and she picked up the count again when we got back from Christmas?  I think she lived within 3 hours, so maybe she counted that.  Either way, it was a lot!)

That first winter in NY about killed me.  I was so far from home, so gray, so overwhelmed with college.  But that spring was the prettiest and the best I can remember.  The next winter I do not remember having problems, so I guess I adjusted.  All told, I spent 6 winters in that area.  Now, I love a rainy day (like today) and bask in the clouds and the dimness.  But I live in Utah again, so I know the "sun'll come out, tomorrow."

the main room in my house has windows almost the entire east and south walls. And almost every room has huge windows.  I don't change lightbulbs except in October-January.  I just let the dead bulbs sit there all summer since we don't use lights in the spring/summer.

LvsChant:
I also didn't experience this for my growing up years... but when we were stationed in germany for our first Army assignment, those dreary overcast days were very common in the winter months. I actually didn't really have a problem with it, but after nearly 4 years, I was reaaaaaally looking forward to some sunshine.

PorcupineKate:
I am also in the vitamin D camp.  I set up my seedling grow shelves in my dini`

Adam Campbell:
I got my son into archery when he was 7 years old, kind of by accident. I bought him a cheap-ass bow and had to go to an Archery shop to get it adjusted for him. I ended up taking it back and got him a GOOD bow from the shop, and now 3 years later he's good enough to compete in the state championship.

I told him if he stuck with it, I'd join him and this year we started going to indoor tournaments together. That has been a HUGE benefit for the winter blues. The archery is keeping us so busy on the weekends that this last winter went by fast. The bow also turns out to be a great rehab for a radial head fracture I suffered in a mountain bike crash last summer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version