Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

Why does it seem as if...

<< < (3/7) > >>

aman:

--- Quote from: ladygaura on September 13, 2011, 10:07:51 AM ---Could also be that it's us ladies who are more used to (on a day by day basis) keeping the pantry stocked. It's easier for us to see prepping as a sort of "expanded pantry". Certainly, some guys can also do this too, for instance military sorts who know all about supply lines and such. I'm not sure why some guys would fall into a "raider" mindset but certainly some supplies (water!!) would probably be impossible even to steal after a while. I don't see it as any sort of option.

--- End quote ---

This is a great answer.

I have always thought that if I could have a conversation with my long dead grandmother about prepping she would say 'What are you talking about? That is what I do every day'.

A lot of this wisdom has been passed down through the generations mainly (but not exclusively) on the female side.

I did receive a lot of guidance on cooking and budgeting and the like from my mother but I did not seem to pick as much of it up and apply it as much as my sisters even though I'm pretty sure my sisters didn't receive any more coaching than the boys.

It always amazed me when my younger sister seemed to transform from an annoying little girl into a knowledge rich woman as soon as she had her first child.

It was as if she didn't listen to a word for years but it all just went into her brain and was stored there until she needed it and then BAM! she was a mother over night.

A lot of what my mother taught me has been wasted over the years and now I am re discovering it, to listen to me, you'd think I'd invented it.

We like to think of ourselves as protectors, we need to be seen as the ones who are in control and will provide for our families in times of strife.

When the time comes, just humour us  while we run around like headless chickens for a bit. We will settle down eventually

aman

archer:
I'll offer a few more possible reasons:
-easier to fantasize about being rambo and taking stuff that other people WORKED to store up. after all, gardening/taking care of an orchard/raising animals/storing food is hard work! takes time, energy, and learning...
-have some hollywood fantasy going on in their heads where the 'enemies' are just figures from a video game who dont have real lives/families or even exist

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: BadgerAngel on September 13, 2011, 07:33:26 AM ---Last night I spoke with a male friend in Indy and said something about the grid going down, and he gave the same type of answer; e.g, "I'll be okay.  I have firearms."

--- End quote ---

A good canned response to this kind of asshattery is: "So...  You're saying that you want to eat a bullet?"  I've used it once, and the effect was as if I'd whacked my friend with a clue-by-four.  Use it cautiously, only when really called for.

archer:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on September 13, 2011, 05:04:04 PM ---A good canned response to this kind of asshattery is: "So...  You're saying that you want to eat a bullet?"  I've used it once, and the effect was as if I'd whacked my friend with a clue-by-four.  Use it cautiously, only when really called for.

--- End quote ---
i like that...

BadgerAngel:
Thank you all very much for your insights.  I've been trying to point my friend to this forum and to TSP, he's just being difficult about it, which irks me.  I know that he would agree with a lot of the viewpoints, et cetera, if he'd just get over the "pirate/raider mystique" and listen and learn.  I have to remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.  I may try to use the "Contagion" movie questions I saw in that thread to make him think if he goes to see it. 

I'm scared for him because he lives in a suburb of Indianapolis, and I think if a TEOTWAWKI or SHTF situation hit, he and his family could be trapped up there with no way to get out.   

@Dawgus:  Yeah, I have a friend in Texas who's the same way.  He I can't make think, and I've honestly given up trying.  It's sad, but there are some people you just can't get out of the fantasy. 

@Soup:  Exactly.  Experience with hardscrabble life as a child/young adult toughened me to a point.  I have never been in a firefight, and I can honestly say I never want to be, and will do everything I can not to be.  I have been shot at, once, and that was not an experience I would care to repeat.  Ever.

@Alan Georges:  Unfortunately, I am under the weather and was not thinking quickly, else that would have been an excellent answer.  And if he gives me that kind of thought process again in reference to the grid going down or something similar, I may well say that.  Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version