Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

Document Package Phone Numbers

<< < (5/14) > >>

Truik:

--- Quote from: DBI on July 06, 2011, 08:43:30 AM ---I use an ammo can to keep deeds, birth certificates, ss numbers, auto titles, phone numbers, Wills, a small compact survival guide, and compact (laminated) maps. All of these are in labeled legal size envelopes which fit perfectly in the ammo can. Grab and go for the most necessary documents. Multiple ammo cans can be stacked neatly in the trunk of your car or strapped to a 4-wheeler.

--- End quote ---

Just want to mention that ammo cans are generally thought to be watertight but they aren't always. I would recommend taking the additional measure of sealing your items in a large ziploc freezer bag or other, similar seal-able container.

Rain, spills, even condensation can eventually ruin paper. Adding an air-tight plastic container inside an ammo can just helps add a little more protection, especially since these may be items that conceivably go for quite some time without being checked and the worst time to find out their integrity has been compromised is when you need them.

Just my two cents.

Leonidas:

--- Quote from: mbarnatl on May 10, 2011, 04:21:15 PM ---I always have another up to date phone book kept in my truck. But all of the important numbers are kept in my planner. But I keep the extra phone book just in case. Say a tornado went through your part of town and it hit the tree service you use on a regular basis. It will not do any good to call them since most of their equipment is damaged. Having a phone book available to call other tree services comes in handy and less stressful.

--- End quote ---

Great Idea, Thank you

--- Quote from: DBI on July 06, 2011, 08:43:30 AM ---I use an ammo can to keep deeds, birth certificates, ss numbers, auto titles, phone numbers, Wills, a small compact survival guide, and compact (laminated) maps. All of these are in labelled legal size envelopes which fit perfectly in the ammo can. Grab and go for the most necessary documents. Multiple ammo cans can be stacked neatly in the trunk of your car or strapped to a 4-wheeler.

--- End quote ---

Great Idea, Thank you

bentwanderer:
I don't have 1/10th of all that info at any of my residences....

Clybrad:
I am a firefighter going through rookie school. We are talking about hazardous materials today and I thought of a good one. Chemtrec. This is a company that you can call if you see an overturned truck that may have a hazordous material.  Of course all they will be able to tell you is how fast to run in certain situations. But if you care to know it is 1800-424-9300.

PrepperJim:

--- Quote from: Clybrad on November 03, 2011, 05:07:42 PM ---I am a firefighter going through rookie school. We are talking about hazardous materials today and I thought of a good one. Chemtrec. This is a company that you can call if you see an overturned truck that may have a hazordous material.  Of course all they will be able to tell you is how fast to run in certain situations. But if you care to know it is 1800-424-9300.

--- End quote ---

The other thing is to carry an Emergency Response Guide. You can look up the UN number (the four digit number in the middle of the diamond) and see what the characteristics are. I believe there are also iPhone and Blackberry apps for that, but always have an ERG in my bag. Of course, I am "in the business" so it is an occupational thing. I've never had to use it, but you never know!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version