Author Topic: Michigan  (Read 25529 times)

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
Re: Michigan
« Reply #540 on: March 16, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »
Hiya snowham.  We have a large metro population between us lol. 

Signed up to recieve notifications for the Expo. 

Offline TonyPres12

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been listening to the podcast for a little while and just joined the forums.  I live Downriver and I am just getting into prepping.  I'm here to get to know other preppers in the area.  My current plan is to buy some land within a couple hours of my house to be my bug out location.  I just need to save up the money to do that.  I also want to meet other preppers in Michigan, because a lot of the reading I've done says that it is better to have a group where everyone can use their skills and work together instead of trying to do everything on your own.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »
Hello TonyPres12,

I am originally from the Downriver area and still have family there. Where area are you looking for property?

There are several of us going to the Great Lakes Prepper Expo on April 19. If you plan on coming out, I'll we volunteering at the Project Appleseed booth and donaldj will be in the Martial Tactical Training of Michigan booth. There were also several other TSP Forum members in attendance too, but I'll let them soundoff if they are coming...

Offline TonyPres12

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2014, 05:52:31 PM »
Right now I'm just working on saving up money.  I'm really open on where.  My finance isn't really onboard with prepping, so I told her that it would be a vacation spot to get away for a weekend here or there. I originally thought about going to the northern LP up near Clare or Grayling which is where my cousins have property.  My parents stay at a place in Grayling every summer.  So I know the area, my main concern is that it is a 3-4 hour trip depending on traffic and I don't want to get stuck in traffic in a SHTF scenario.  I have thought about instead of a bug out location just buying property in southern Wayne/Northern Monroe county where I could be outside the city but still close enough to get to and from work in 30 minutes.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
Check 5 mile road between Naper and US 23. Or you might try anywhere along Michigan Avn. (US12) West of Marshal.  73

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #545 on: March 25, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »
Is there a way for us to form like a partnership where we all pitch in?  We build it like a vacation spot, share the common areas, etc...?

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #546 on: March 27, 2014, 06:36:14 AM »
Right now I'm just working on saving up money.  I'm really open on where.  My finance isn't really onboard with prepping, so I told her that it would be a vacation spot to get away for a weekend here or there. I originally thought about going to the northern LP up near Clare or Grayling which is where my cousins have property.  My parents stay at a place in Grayling every summer.  So I know the area, my main concern is that it is a 3-4 hour trip depending on traffic and I don't want to get stuck in traffic in a SHTF scenario.  I have thought about instead of a bug out location just buying property in southern Wayne/Northern Monroe county where I could be outside the city but still close enough to get to and from work in 30 minutes.

welcome to the forum Tony

if you plan on going north find a route around the pinch points [bay city/saginaw]
we moved from Port Huron to the Keweenaw for work and retired up here
and pinch points were an issue for heading north
maybe check out the thumb area,there is lots of deer there and the farming/gardening  will be easier

SnoHam13

Offline TonyPres12

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #547 on: March 27, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
welcome to the forum Tony

if you plan on going north find a route around the pinch points [bay city/saginaw]
we moved from Port Huron to the Keweenaw for work and retired up here
and pinch points were an issue for heading north
maybe check out the thumb area,there is lots of deer there and the farming/gardening  will be easier

SnoHam13

Thanks for the advice.

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #548 on: March 28, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
Is there a way for us to form like a partnership where we all pitch in?  We build it like a vacation spot, share the common areas, etc...?

Perma Ethos - MI

I would definitely be interested in that.

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #549 on: March 28, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
Me too, we could all put up some change then buy a piece of land.  Would a LLC work for this, or how could we build this community/vacation spot in the middle of a big piece of land?

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #550 on: March 28, 2014, 09:13:24 PM »
some were centrally located so several of you can get together with in 1 tank of fuel
is the key
preppers that think that they will get across the Mackinaw Bridge during an major event is just fooling them selves
most other pinch points you can get around

good land and water is the key too

were we are at we have built community with the neighbors [got a few stubborn ones]
so we will do just fine here in the Keweenaw   

SnoHam13

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #551 on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »
Hey hey looks like I get to go to GLEPE this year. Who's all going? Anyone care to meet up?

Oops just found the dedicated thread.

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Michigan Right to Farm Act
« Reply #552 on: May 18, 2014, 06:11:47 AM »
I am wondering what others think about the recent "clarifications" in the Right to Farm Act?  It seems like the primary clarification was that in unzoned areas you can still raise food for yourself without having to worry about any of the requirements, but as soon as you sell a single egg everything changes. 

I always thought that living in an unzoned area (like many areas of northern MI are) was a positive due to fewer regulations.  As I started looking into the issue more, I now understand that zoning (for land use purposes) and classification (for property tax purposes) are two different issues.  My acreage is mostly hardwoods but I have a house, outbuildings, a few cleared areas with an orchard and several gardens, and few animals.  I don't sell anything.  My property is classified as residential for tax purposes but it is unzoned. 

I have not yet made a list of pros and cons related to a request for reclassification and possible zoning as agriculture.  Has anyone else looked into this? 

Cyd from Northern Michigan

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #553 on: May 18, 2014, 06:27:28 AM »
I've looked at it a bit, but not much.  On the one hand they are giving local governments more opportunity to determine what their communities look like. On the other, they are potentially giving localities another tool to restrict the way landowners use their land.  And in this case those restrictions can be used to restrict a person's ability to be more self-sufficient.

The Right to Farm Act was designed to prevent the tyranny of the majority when it comes to neighbors trying to control each other's use of property as it pertains to agriculture.  My interpretation of it was that it stood for any use of the land for producing food.  The GAAPs (generally acceptable agricultural practices, I think) were more than enough to protect a suburban home from waking to a 1000 hog CAFO next door.  These changes are much more potentially restrictive I think.  I don't like them.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
I wonder what will happen to the turky fram in Livonia on 5 Mile. There are houses which back up to it with only a creek in between them.

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #555 on: May 18, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
According to the FAQs, the state of MI defines a "farm" under the Right to Farm Act as a farming business, not a farm in which you are simply growing your own food.  It seems like the original Act was passed to prevent re-zoning of a farm (so long as it is currently zoned as agriculture) if someone wanted to build a condo on an adjacent property and did not like it that the farm was there.  It also seems that the "clarification" affects only those whose property is zoned as something OTHER than agriculture. 

Here is the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdard/Michigans_Right_to_Farm_Act_Frequently_Asked_Questions_-_May_6_2014_455493_7.pdf

So back to my original question:  Has anyone looked at pros/cons/process of having your land zoned as agriculture?  There are obvious tax avantages if it is classified as agricultural (no school taxes) but classification (tax category) and zoning (land use)are two different concepts as I mentioned in my previous post.

Offline Doctorsurvivor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #556 on: June 09, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
We should complain like hell to our local representatives. I have been bugging the crap out of mine. One seems to care and has listened to my concerns, the other couldn't be bothered and I was quickly punted off to the office manager who didn't have any thing significant to help. Make calls and send email. Maybe if they here enough voices, they will change the protections under the Right to Farm act so that it protects all of us.

Offline LongBeardedJohn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #557 on: June 14, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »
Hey guys, anyone else in Clinton County?

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #558 on: June 15, 2014, 07:07:55 AM »
Hey guys, anyone else in Clinton County?

I am not but welcome to the forum from the Keweenaw [were we still have ice bergs in june] ;D

SnoHam13

Offline LongBeardedJohn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #559 on: June 15, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
Anyone on here in the Traverse City area?  I'm often up there visiting family and wouldn't mind grabbing a drink with any TSPers up while I'm visiting.

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #560 on: August 22, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
My husband and I live about 30 miles from TC.  I drive to work in TC 4 days/week.

Cyd

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
How to find a like-minded renter
« Reply #561 on: August 22, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »
My husband and I are in the process of purchasing our neighbor's property up here in rural northern lower Michgan, which will result in owning a total of about 80 acres.  We will be looking for a renter for the extra house.  There are many possibilities that we would consider such as bartering work for rent, or sharing in any profit from future production on the land.  Does anyone have good ideas for finding a like-minded renter? 

Cyd

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #562 on: August 22, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
Check on www.walkingtofreedom.com.

Maybe someone looking to relocate to MI.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #563 on: September 18, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
Hey all you Michiganders,

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=51576.0

Because you know you want to.

ALSO, We'll be at the GLEPE on 04OCT2014. Look for the MTTM booth once again!

D

Offline macwa

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #564 on: October 06, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
GT County.  Land of high prices.

Offline alpacamade

• Prepper
« Reply #565 on: February 25, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »
Is this R4 board abandoned? I was hoping there might be someone here to bounce
around intra - state relocation strategies with.

Offline Makwaa

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #566 on: February 25, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »
I was hoping to find people in western Michigan to talk with,  it appears everyone here has bugged out.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »
yeah, sorry, i havent been active here in ages. what ideas do you have?

Offline alpacamade

• Prepper
« Reply #568 on: February 29, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
I was hoping to find people in western Michigan to talk with,  it appears everyone here has bugged out.

I am a best coaster, however I am looking seriously looking at central lower.
I am interested in homesteading and defiantly cannot do that in the middle of the
tourist chain.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #569 on: February 29, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »
For me, if job didn't matter, I'd probably move to the upper NE lower peninsula. Atlanta or Mio.

If I was looking at 'bug out' property, it'd probably be in the Dundee area, as I'm currently near Brighton and I could get to that sparsely populated area without going through the likes of Flint and Saginaw. Also, Michigan is known as the state where everyone bugs out 'up north'. I'd probably try to run contrary to that.