Author Topic: Michigan  (Read 25529 times)

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Michigan
« Reply #510 on: October 21, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. So, I would like to get my CPL here in MI. Anyone know a good place to take a Pistol Safety Training Course. I live in Ann Arbor but could travel if necessary.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, I just saw this. I am instructing this class on Oct 26 down in Britton MI. If you are still in the market, PM me.  Small class size, private range.

Don

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #511 on: October 22, 2013, 06:51:25 AM »
I don't know about grasshopper of the week. I was wishing I had a TSP shirt or something while driving there, next time.

A logo on the table would have been a dead give away  ;)

What side of the table where you on Dave? Looking at the table from the "guest" side.

When I was at the table, I was usually on the left (from the attendees point of view). I was the 6' tall (fairly) lean, buzz cut guy wearing a green polo shirt. My inner ant got the best of me and I spent a fair amount of time visiting/learning from the other booths. It is kinda funny, Donaldj's booth is the one that I really wanted to spend Lorre time with, but it seemed like every time I was unoccupied, they were occupied. They were kind enough to let a couple of our instructors kids come over and pound on their Bob.

BTW: MY BIL recently got eggs from you for his family and LOVED them.

We are starting to get a excellent mix of knowledge, skills and talent in the TSP listeners here in the Mitten State. We should start sharing and learning from each other. I suspect it would be fun and hopefully we can find some other folks that would like to come out and play.

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #512 on: October 22, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
When I was at the table, I was usually on the left (from the attendees point of view). I was the 6' tall (fairly) lean, buzz cut guy wearing a green polo shirt.

You're the one I talked to :) I had a green sweater on, short blond hair and glasses. You told me about the Fenton and Lapeer apple seeds, since I am in Clarkston.

BTW: MY BIL recently got eggs from you for his family and LOVED them.

Eggs from me? Must have been Mark, I traded him some eggs, rabbit and quail for some pork. I actually just had some of the sausage for breakfast this morning, it was great!

We are starting to get a excellent mix of knowledge, skills and talent in the TSP listeners here in the Mitten State. We should start sharing and learning from each other. I suspect it would be fun and hopefully we can find some other folks that would like to come out and play.

Hell yeah man! I'm in. Some sort of meet up, BBQ, range day, pup crawl would be awesome.

I've been joining and becoming more active in the local permaculture groups, Ann Arbor group; Oakland County group; MI permaculture convergence group (Howell). Lots of knowledgeable and skillful people, and a few left leaning nutters mixed in, but that's what makes it interesting.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #513 on: October 22, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »
That sounds like a real possibility. In fact, I've taken Appleseed already. I need to get the coveted green patch still. My 70 year old .22 didnt hold up so well in the cold and rain when I was there (lots of jams).  =)

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #514 on: October 22, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »
    I would love to take the Appleseed course, but I'm afraid that if I shoot sitting kneeling or prone you would have to have a engine puller to get me back up. I have Inclusion Body Myoisitis, or I.B.M. a form of M.D..

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #515 on: October 22, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
    I would love to take the Appleseed course, but I'm afraid that if I shoot sitting kneeling or prone you would have to have a engine puller to get me back up. I have Inclusion Body Myoisitis, or I.B.M. a form of M.D..

Your best bet is to talk with the Appleseed staff regarding your concerns. I'd bet they'd make accommodations. 

Don

Offline tonya792001

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member from michigan
« Reply #516 on: October 25, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
Redford, Michigan here, new to the forums, is there anyone else from nearby, or any shows like the self reliance expo out this way? I'm looking for ways to show hubby that I am not the only "crazy" out there. He just rolls his eyes at me and lets me be "crazy"  ;)

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #517 on: October 25, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
Hey Tonya!

I used to live in Southfield, and my wife lived in Redford.

Your best bet to show non-crazy is to turn off Doomsday Preppers and just start small. Go for a month of water and food reserve and the means to defend it. After that, start filling in other gaps that you see.

Redford will be challenging in terms of long term sustainability and security.

Offline tonya792001

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member from michigan
« Reply #518 on: November 09, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »
Thanks! I sometimes overlook the obvious, I will start working on my water stores!

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #519 on: November 09, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
I didn't have as much of a chance to meet people as I would have liked, although I am fairly certain I spoke to several of you. 
I was the guy with the 6 week old child laying across his forearm.
I was grateful to let me wife chat with a few vendors and give her a chance to realize "prepper" does not equal crazy.

I remember seeing your youngster. Any time I see ant families with kids, it warms my heart.

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #520 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »
any yooupers here

saying Hi and checking in from the north end of the Keweenaw

SnoHam13

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #521 on: November 21, 2013, 06:37:22 AM »
any yooupers here

saying Hi and checking in from the north end of the Keweenaw

SnoHam13

Only in my heart, I lived in Houghton for 2 years and absolutely love the Keweenaw peninsula. I plan to retire as a Yooper :)

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #522 on: November 21, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
There are a few of us here that went to Tech, so while not a true Yooper, we are familiar with the area.

I do love it up there as well.

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #523 on: November 21, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
ayup MTU

oldest went there and that is how we landed up here from Port Huron
worked for a few years till a injury stopped that nonsense
now retired and waiting for our first blast of snow Fri./Sat.
then Ice fishing
didn't bother with deer hunting,,the buggers headed for cedar bay the day before [the 14] due to weather coming in off the big lake [not suposta be shooting large bore any ways]

SnoHam13

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #524 on: November 22, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
*sigh*... yep, definitely some of us who left our hearts in Houghton.

It's probably the understatement of the century to say that I wish I had spent more time outdoors and exploring the Keweenaw while I was there. I spent five years there thinking I was doing better than the "lifers" who spent 7+, looking back on it they were the smart ones.  ;D

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #525 on: November 23, 2013, 04:09:39 AM »
I almost sunk our van one night during tip up town on Houghton Lake when I was a teenager, long story but thankful for the kind snowmobilers out there at the time to all pitch in.  We sold a lot of hot spiced cider from my Mom's concession trailer by  that cold windy lake. 
Nice area up there for sure.

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #526 on: November 23, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »
I almost sunk our van one night during tip up town on Houghton Lake when I was a teenager, long story but thankful for the kind snowmobilers out there at the time to all pitch in.  We sold a lot of hot spiced cider from my Mom's concession trailer by  that cold windy lake. 
Nice area up there for sure.

Ah Er Um Bob
check out zip code 49931
we are the ''other'' Houghton in The UP  :)

SnoHam13

http://www.pasty.com/snow/index.html

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #527 on: November 23, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »
There are a few of us here that went to Tech, so while not a true Yooper, we are familiar with the area.

I do love it up there as well.

had an old timer here tell us ''being a Yooper is in your heart not were your born''
they will take ya in as family if you have it in your heart
a total different mind set from down state

SnoHam13

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #528 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »

Ah Er Um Bob
check out zip code 49931
we are the ''other'' Houghton in The UP  :)

SnoHam13

http://www.pasty.com/snow/index.html

Haha,  you're right,  I'm from SE Mich and assumed you were talking abut Houghton Lake area,
 Oh well maybe one day I'll get to venture out your way too.  :)

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #529 on: November 26, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »

Haha,  you're right,  I'm from SE Mich and assumed you were talking abut Houghton Lake area,
 Oh well maybe one day I'll get to venture out your way too.  :)

hey no harm no foul
we use to live in port huron 5 years ago
cmon up and enjoy

SnoHam13

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #530 on: November 28, 2013, 07:11:49 AM »
The website for michigan gun owners is not working for me. It is migunowners.org.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Did it get shut down?

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #531 on: November 30, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
The website for michigan gun owners is not working for me. It is migunowners.org.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Did it get shut down?

It's back up now.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
I started a thread for the Great Lakes Preppers Expo on April 19, 2014.
« Reply #532 on: January 06, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
We need to connect with each other at the even so we can put "faces to the forum".

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #533 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
Hi fellow 'ganders.  Anyone in the KZoo area?  I live near there with the fam.  I've been posting to the forums and listening to the podcast for over a year now, and this has been refreshing.  I have completely shut off the national news and only go to www.mlive.com for the state news now.  We started small and have grown together as a family.  I have to admit my wife thought I was a little crazy, though.  I've scaled back on any crazy talk, and talk about snow storms and having food, kerosene heaters and fuel, and potable water. 

Tonya, I got my wife on board by buying food that we eat, such as peanut butter, only on sale.  Buying food such as Jiffy Peanut Butter on sale is an instant cost savings to the family.  Buying in bulk this way also lets you wait for the next sale of the item to buy more.  It's a decent cost savings, letting the family spend that 600-800 on other things. 

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #534 on: January 07, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Hello Big Al!

Yeah, the crazy doom n gloom is what starts most people into prepping and unfortunately there's a lot of money to be made convincing people the world is ending tomorrow.

It's about adjusting a lifestyle, not depleting the 401k to buy thousands of MRE's and cartridges. Changes like that take time.

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #535 on: January 07, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
Yeah, the crazy doom n gloom is what starts most people into prepping and unfortunately there's a lot of money to be made convincing people the world is ending tomorrow.

Yes it was an initial sort of "Oh, there is something seriously wrong with the way we are living, we have to do what the Doomsday Preppers are doing."  :P

I look back at that fantasy of waiting for a collapse and sometimes wonder what the hell I was thinking about.  I'm sure glad I have a patient wife, family, and friends.  Today we prep mostly to enjoy an immediate (food) or mid-term (tangible assets) goal.  We plan around a snowstorm (thank God we did) and have built out from that likely event.  I find that planning for a snowstorm, or a job loss, is a much more practical and real scenario.  The hoarding long term storage food is finished (I buy seeds and plant a garden every year instead).  My reaction to prepping has switched from hoarding stuff to developing the skills (networking, resume writing, making friends) to ensure survival.  The community thing is probably the number 2 most important skill to have, with actually having a set of personal skills number 1.  I've been to many collapsed countries and the people that do well are those that have the highest number of friends and connections.  The others are essentially walking zombies, barely surviving, and miserable.  Going forward these observations and maturity in prepping have sort of switched me to what is important.  The last thing is the sense of positive energy and thinking you get from preparing the family.  It is very assuring and positive to think I have taken active measures to ensure the family has what it needs daily, during snowstorms, etc...

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #536 on: March 15, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »
I agree with skills being Prep #1 and community being Prep #2.  I'd like some suggestions on building community.  My husband and I don't have any children, our family is not nearby at all (and are not at all into prepping).  We are on good terms with two of our neighbors but one is seasonal (here in the summer only) and the other is a elderly couple who are also frequently traveling.  Then, the other neighbor:  he's paranoid and hostile (and I think he has both physical and mental illness), and has rejected any of our attempts to befriend him.

We are getting older (late 50s), have skills, and are really in need of building more community here in a rural area of northern Michigan.  Any suggestions?

Cyd

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #537 on: March 15, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
We are getting older (late 50s), have skills, and are really in need of building more community here in a rural area of northern Michigan.  Any suggestions?

Cyd

Maybe organize a morel mushroom pick for May.  The first year just make the group small by only asking family and friends, then ask more the next year. 

My favorite activity is inviting friends over to grill.  It has been a while, once this weather breaks will start up doing again. 

See if any adult ed and rec activities are offered at the local school. Get enrolled in a skill such as baking, craft making, etc...

Start a card playing social, invite neighbors, play canassta. 

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #538 on: March 15, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
Hey all,

In case you haven't heard, the Great Lakes Emergency Preparedness Expo is returning to Birch Run on April 19.  http://www.greatlakespreppers.com/

Martial Tactical Training of Michigan will be there again, as will my small start-up company, Bu Tactical.
www.martialtacticaltrainingofmichigan.com
www.butactical.com

Come on out!

Don

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #539 on: March 16, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »
hiya Big Al and Cyd from the Keweenaw ;D

SnoHam13