Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

The Benefits, and Downfalls of Vacuum Packing

<< < (5/6) > >>

FrugalFannie:

--- Quote from: jerseyboy on October 22, 2016, 08:44:30 AM ---I found this video on sealing Mylar bags with a food saver non-chambered vacuum sealer

https://youtu.be/r9dzaeC0hG0

Nice work around.

Jerseyboy

--- End quote ---

That's great when you aren't doing more than just a few packages.

Citizen Zero:
Ok, been a while since I have revisited this (oh, wait that is typical of me).

Since the initial post on the chamber vacuum sealing method, I finally got a handle on the amount that we really use the machine. In the space of owning the machine so far, we have gone through over 2,000 of the 4mil poly bags and well over 500 Mylar bags which equates to more than 2,500+ cycles (not even counting the large number of Mason jars that were sealed and resealed repeatedly). Granted that seems excessive, but we have incorporated this appliance in most of our activities in the kitchen.

The ability to buy in bulk and quickly process meats, poultry, dried goods, etc. has saved us much more money than the initial cost of the machine and the materials for packaging over time. We also use it routinely to vacuum pack soups and other leftovers like Lasagna (best frozen before processing) that get pulled out of the freezer and reheated only to taste just like they were freshly made. If I can fit it in the bag, generally I can vacuum pack it with few exceptions.

So far my experience with the machine has been nothing short of perfect. With the basic routine maintenance of occasionally topping off or changing of the oil for the vacuum pump I foresee the the machine going for much longer while still attaining the great results that we have seen thus far (it better, I just bought another 1,000 of the bag size we use most  ???).

After four years of experience with the VacMaster I can confidently say that a FoodSaver type device will never again have a place in our kitchen ;)   

LvsChant:
+1 on your update on the vacmaster, Citizen Zero!!! I'm really glad to hear that it has worked out so well for you. Details about sourcing  the bags you find work best and how you do your jar sealing would be very helpful...

Stwood:

Yes, thanks for posting. Reminds me I need to pitch, fix, or replace our vac sealer

Citizen Zero:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on January 25, 2020, 07:43:32 AM ---+1 on your update on the vacmaster, Citizen Zero!!! I'm really glad to hear that it has worked out so well for you. Details about sourcing  the bags you find work best and how you do your jar sealing would be very helpful...

--- End quote ---

When it comes to sourcing the bags, it is not something that I do too often due to the volume that I purchase at them to save money. The resupply I recently ordered was the first of the poly bags since I bought the machine.

The general 4mil poly bags that we use the most are sourced directly through VacMaster, they retail through Amazon. My last purchase was for 1,000 of the 6X10" bags for $44.00 ($.04 per bag). We also use the 8X10" bags, but not quite as often (more for liquids like soups that the additional space makes it easier to position in the chamber for proper sealing). Liquids need to be refrigerated first as they tend to boil under vacuum otherwise, I can tell you that is a big mess to clean up when it happens.

For reference: Water boiling under vacuum in the VacMaster (same model I am using) https://youtu.be/XYq578nd5mc

Mylar bags: I generally get them from PackFresh USA or other vendors that sell US made product. The risk with the stuff from China is that it is not always "Mylar", it can be just silver poly which does not provide the same air barrier that real Mylar does. And, as I said in the original post, the thinner 2mil Mylar bags are susceptible to leaks when there are too many creases or wrinkles after the vacuum process is performed (we are not talking FoodSaver "vacuum" here, we are talking "HARD Vacuum"). When handled too much these points become pinhole leaks that will allow atmosphere to enter the bag.

Mason jars, they are fairly easy depending on the size. Pint jars easily stand upright in the chamber and only need the lid put on with the ring screwed on just enough to keep it in place, but allow air to escape. Once the cycle completes the lid pings down and the ring can be tightened down or removed for storage (your choice), I can easily get 4 pint jars in the chamber at once. Larger jars like the pint and a half can be laid on their sides if your are sealing dry contents in the jars, same protocol on the lid and ring, you just have to be very careful that nothing is going to get between the lid and the mouth of the jar when it is on its side.

Hope this helps with your questions  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version