Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Firearm Discussion

"Firearms for TEOTWAWKI"-(PDF Book Under Construction)

<< < (6/9) > >>

PistolWhipped:
Thanks for the edit.  Rough night at work, so guns should be able to put me into a better mood.  :D

RECOMMENDED PISTOLS CONT.

Springfield XD (eXtreme Duty) & XD-M (eXtreme Duty - Match)

From Wikipedia:  The Springfield Armory XD is a semi-automatic pistol manufactured in the city of Karlovac, Croatia by HS Produkt (formerly I.M. Metal), and licensed and sold in the US by Springfield Armory, Inc. The HS2000 (Hrvatski Samokres (Croatian Pistol)), or XD (X-Treme Duty) series of pistols are polymer-framed and striker-fired.

PistolWhipped's Notes:  Feeling like a cross between a Glock and a 1911, this is another handgun I recommend.  For around the price of the Glock, it offers a similar level or performance, and many find the ergonomics to be more natural.  Available in sizes from 3" barreled sub-compacts to 5" Tactical models, and everything in between, this handgun allows the end user to find a size to suit their needs.  Capacity is usually on par with the Glock, though the XD-M models actually exceed that capacity.  If you want a double stack polymer handgun but find the Glocks grip angle and soft trigger to be a bother, the XD may just fill that role for you.

H&K USP

From Wikipedia:  The USP (Universale Selbstladepistole or "universal self-loading pistol") is a semi-automatic pistol developed in Germany by Heckler & Koch GmbH (H&K) of Oberndorf am Neckar as a replacement for the expensive and somewhat complex P7 series of handguns.

As the USP was developed at the same time as the SOCOM MK23, the pistol underwent much of the same rigorous testing. The barrel is cold-forged from chromium steel for increased life. USP barrels post-1994 use a polygonal profile, whereas 1994 and earlier models utilize traditional 'land and grooves' rifling. During testing, a bullet was deliberately lodged in a USP barrel. Another cartridge was then fired into the obstructing bullet. The second bullet cleared the barrel, resulting in a barely noticeable bulge. The pistol was then fired for accuracy and the resulting group measured less than 4 inches at 25 meters.[16]

Temperature testing required the USP be frozen to ?42 °C and fired, frozen again, and then be heated up to 67 °C and fired. These temperature tests were continually repeated with no adverse effects on the USP.[16]

The gun was also subjected to NATO MIL-SPEC mud and rain tests, which were passed without difficulty. Water immersion and salt spray also presented no problems. German Navy combat divers have used the USP for two years without any signs of corrosion.

Safety testing exceeded the ANSI/SAAMI requirements adopted in May 1990. These included dropping a USP with a primed cartridge and decocked hammer on a variety of hard surfaces without discharging. The USP surpassed these commercial requirements, as well as German Army and police tests, including repeated drop tests from six feet (1.8 m), hammer first, onto a steel backed concrete slab. Proof round firing resulted in no cracks, deformations, or increase in head space. Attempts to fire the USP pistol with an unlocked breech proved unsuccessful.

Testing with a variety of ammunition proved the USP meets these high standards. During the USP testing phase, it was shown the recoil-reduction system reduces the force on the USP grip to approximately 300 newtons (67 pounds-force). Peak force shock on competing .40 caliber polymer and metal framed pistols was around 5,000 newtons (1,100 pounds-force). The primary benefit of low peak shock is a decrease in wear and tear on pistol components, a great concern with the +P cartridge in 9 mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Reduction of peak shock forces also contributes to softer recoil for the shooter, although these "felt recoil" values are much more subjective.

PistolWhipped's Notes: I have a friend whom was a former Special Forces operative and is now with the DoD, and the Heckler and Koch USP (in .45, Expert model I believe) is his personal choice for a carry weapon.  He carries one at work (both here AND abroad), and he has two more at his home.  I must say, after shooting the handgun NUMEROUS times, I am hard pressed to disagree with him.

PistolWhipped:
RECOMMENDED PISTOLS CONT.

SIG 226

From Wikipedia: The SIG Sauer P226 is a full-sized, service-type pistol chambered for the 9x19mm Parabellum, .40 S&W and .357 SIG. Its design is based on the SIG Sauer P220.

PistolWhipped's Notes:  Another quality handgun from a reputable manufacturer, the Sig P226 is one of the more accurate pistols in "box stock" form due to the tight tolerances of manufacture. 

Armalite AR24

From Wikipedia:  The AR-24 is a semi-automatic pistol chambered for the 9 mm Luger Parabellum round. It is manufactured at the Sarsilmaz Silah Sanayi factory in Turkey under contract by the Armalite corporation.

The weapon is similar to the Tanfoglio variant of the Czech CZ-75, with design elements borrowed from the SIG P210, though few of its parts are interchangeable with the Tanfoglio weapon from whose machining dies and blue prints it was derived. It has a hot forged steel frame mated to a heavy milled slide treated with Manganese Phosphate, and coated in heat-cured epoxy.

The AR-24/15 Standard model has a parkerized finish and fixed dovetailed rear sights and a proprietary front sight with three white paint dots.

The AR-24/15C Tactical Custom Model has checkering machined on the front and back grip straps and its rear notch sight is adjustable for windage.

The AR-24K/13 Compact and AR-24K/13C Compact Tactical Custom are like the full-sized variants, differing only in their shorter barrels, grips, and amount of ammunition carried.

PistolWhipped's Notes:  Feeling like a Sig raped a cz75, so far this handgun handles like a champ.  I have only shot it once, not enough to give a detailed review, but suffice to say, I was left impressed.

CZ 75

From Wikipedia:  The CZ 75 is a semi-automatic pistol made by ?eská zbrojovka Uherský Brod (CZUB) in the Czech Republic and originally introduced in 1975. It is one of the original wonder nines featuring a staggered-column magazine, all-steel construction, and hammer forged barrels.

PistolWhipped's Notes:  Another Damn good handgun, considered by some to be among the greatest fighting handguns in the world.  All I can say is that with Hogues, it feels like the pistol almost points itself.

Browning Hi Power

From Wikipedia:  The Browning Hi-Power is a single-action, 9 mm semi-automatic pistol. It is based on ideas conceived and patented in 1922 by American firearms inventor John Browning, and later patented by Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Herstal, Belgium. Browning died in 1926, before he had finished developing a production version. The design was fully developed and realized by Belgian arms designer Dieudonne Saive, working at FN.

The Hi-Power pistol was named for its 13-round magazine capacity, which was almost twice that of contemporary designs such as the Luger or Mauser 1910. The Hi-Power had the first functional double-column magazine of 9 mm rounds, and was capable of holding 13 cartridges, with a 14th loaded in the chamber. Flush-fit 15 round magazines are now available, as well as higher capacity magazines which extend past the end of the butt.

The pistol is often referred to as an HP (for "Hi-Power" or "High-Power"[1]) or as a GP (for the French term, "Grande Puissance"). The term P-35 is also used, based on the introduction of the pistol in 1935. Another common nickname is the "King of Nines."[2] It is most often called the "Hi-Power", even in Belgium. It is also known as the BAP (Browning Automatic Pistol), particularly in Irish service.

PistolWhipped's Notes:  The ORIGINAL "Wonder nine", this is still a capable handgun today.  While not as refined as some of the newer handguns, the Hi-Power mechanism is a military grade one, and as such is still very reliable.  They're not too bad in the accuracy or capacity depts. either.

whatzhizname:
(Additional updates coming soon, as well as this material rewritten/edited in PDF form, assuming I can get PistolWhipped's permission and see if Jack or someone will host the PDF downloadable book).  :)

PistolWhipped:
Have fun with it.  It's just here to help fellow preppers out.  I'm not worried about most any use of it.

Patriot:Ex Machina:
EDITED TO FIX BROKEN PHOTO LINKS AND TO RESIZE A COUPLE OF THE SUPER HUGE IMAGES.
Hope you guys didn't mind, but I was tired of looking at the little red "x"s. LOL
Please note that not all the "x"s were fixed, since I wasn't sure what some of the photos were of at the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version