Author Topic: Israel  (Read 583 times)

Offline Shaul

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Israel
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:30 AM »
Any TSP members/podcast listeners in Israel (besides me)?

Shaul

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
Re: Israel
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Shaul!  Please stop by "The Front Porch" and introduce yourself.

While I am not in Israel, I have been there in the past.  What are the Israeli people in general seeing in world events, and how are they preparing themselves for the future?

~TG

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:57 AM »
Hey, Shaul, I understand that ALL houses in Israel are mandated to have solar panels.

Is that true?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
Hey, Shaul, I understand that ALL houses in Israel are mandated to have solar panels.

Is that true?

Oil Lady,

When I was there, virtually every roof had solar water heating panels and storage tanks, but I saw much fewer PV electric panels.  I believe the "mandatory" is only applying to solar thermal heating, although solar electric looks to be encouraged.

~TG

Offline Shaul

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
Hi and thanks for the welcome.
 For Israel's world view etc, I'll have to respond tonight or tomorrow when I have more time.
 As far as solar (water heating) panels, I don't know if it's mandatory, because in certain communities (where because of aesthetics) they forbid the erecting of panels, but in general I would say that most every apt./house in Israel has solar (water) panels.
 For electric panels, the price is still too high and unless someone owns their own home and has enough roof space to install several banks, it's just not economical. For industry it's a different matter. Many office buildings have covered their rooftops with electric panels (which is fed into the national grid and they then receive a reduction in their electric rates). Also, many agricultural communities, raising poultry in large (long) houses are now taking advantage of their extensive (and formerly unused) roofspace to install electric panels as well.

Shaul

Offline Shaul

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »
Hi TG;
   In order to answer your questions (about Israel's take on world events and preps for the future), we need to put things in perspective. Israel is approximately the size of New Jersey, surrounded by hostile countries and entities (in one form or another); because even Jordan and Egypt (with whom we have Peace treaties) both have sizeable portions of their populations who are opposed to the Peace treaties and actively work to have them annulled. 
 Lebanon (though a sovereign country) is essentially ruled by Hizbullah, because "might makes right". Hizbullah's arsenal (largely supplied by Iran) includes approximately 40,000 missles and rockets (all aimed at us). Next there's Syria with probably THE largest stockpile of chemical weapons in the Middle East, actively engaged in a major civil war. To date, Assad has (reportedly) killed more than 20,000 of his own people (and that's without using chemical weapons). One thing I have to say about Assad's father: Hafez al Assad; he was no friend of Israel, but he did keep the border quiet for years and years. The Syrian/Israel border was probably The quietest of all of them. And lastly there's Hamas (also supplied by Iran) in the South, in the Gaza strip (bordering Egypt). The Israeli communities in the area of the Gaza Strip are under almost daily rocket fire. How far? Well, from the time the air raid siren goes off, you've got 15 seconds to make it into a bomb shelter. Do the math.
  So what's our world view? probably the same as everyone else's, it's just that we're alot closer to the action. It's like looking at some object through a telescope. From one end it looks real close but turn it around and the object loooks really far away. Same object but different perspectives based on how far you are from the object (or conflict).
 As for prepping for the future; about 15 years ago a new law came into effect that all new residential construction must include a reinforced room that can serve as a bomb shelter. Most people understand that when the siren goes off, you head for shelter, the hard part is getting them to understand the need to prep.

Shaul

Offline Kosh

• Prepper
    • The Israeli Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »
Hi Shaul and Gang
I'm also listening to tsp in israel. Glad to find someone else who is.

Offline strambeer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
Hey Shaul,  I'm a big TSP fan and live in Beer Sheva!!!!  Where do you live?  We have a bit of a situation at the moment huh.

Offline gilgoul

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
hey Shaul,

I am in the Golan heights, the northern part of it :)

Offline gilgoul

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »
so to add up a bit on the Israeli perspective, since 1992 (lesson learned from the first gulf war) every new living/working unit has to include a "safe room" that has to resist the direct impact of artillery/rocket ordnance, be airtight and equipped with NBC filtering systems allowing for the dwellers/workers to be relatively protected from any type of attack, conventional or not.
Older buildings often have to rely on collective/area shelters that have shown in the past their limitations, such as lack of comfort, exposure time to reach, poor maintenance etc...
As of the use of solar power, it is a mixed bag, having just completed the construction of my home, I am kind of familiar with the process, not because it is mandatory but because it makes sense, we "enjoy" more than 280 sunny days a year typically, most water heaters are on a bi-energy model, solar and electric.
As of solar electricity, even though the prices for the panels have dropped significantly since Shaul's post, they are still prohibitive, and unfortunately tied to a "deal" with the monopolistic electric company that buys back the energy generated.
A law is somewhere in the tube to allow electric autonomy, but I am afraid that, just lack in the case of individual grey-water re-use, we are still stuck in some kind of a legal limbo.
BTW, Israel recycles no less than 75% to 80% of it's water, but we are still lagging when it comes to the individual freedom of doing so.

On an other subject, still related to our local particularities, while any visitor will notice the large amount of personal firearms visible (especially those young soldiers hanging around with their M16's and tavors), there is no, unfortunately, the equivalent of a second amendment here, meaning that possession and carrying (CCW or OCW) of even a pistol is not a "right" per law, but a derogation given by the state to those living in areas deemed to be more exposed than others by the minister of the moment. Since I live very close from the border with Syria, I am allowed to carry a pistol (Glock 19 gen III) and do occasionally carry a AR15 (M16a1 carbine) that is allocated to me due to my membership in the local intervention group.

Still on one more "exotism" maybe helping to comprehend our particular challenges, due to our history, land ownership of anything more than 10000 sq ft is kind of rare, we are a small country, 60% desert, with a large proportion of this desert being either nature preserves or military grounds, which means that most Israelis (92% urbanites) don't even know what acreage means.

I hope I haven't been to boring for one of those first posts, best regards to all :)