Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Talking Whisk(e)y

<< < (4/13) > >>

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: David in MN on September 14, 2017, 05:14:15 PM ---I like Maker's and I actually don't prefer a wheat whiskey. But they did a marvelous job both on the grain bill and the aging.

I've not had Bulleit Rye. I'll keep that one in mind. I like Bulleit plenty so hearing that the rye is good comes as no surprise. Rye has had an amazing resurgence. I used to drink Jim Beam Rye with grapefruit juice (an unexpected but great combination).

A warning... Never, never buy Costco's Kirkland Bourbon. Horrible. Alcohol burn and bitter wood. Yuck.

--- End quote ---

Another warning.  Avoid the Trade joe's bourbon.
The price is right and it tastes really good to the untrained palette, but something about it makes me sick as hell the next day.

I realize this is not scientific, but I have attempted this a few times with similar results. 

atherts:
I tend to like Irish and Scottish product and not much bourbon. I find a lot of it too flowery and sweet.

For Irish I like Powers over Jameson. It has more depth and a nice peppery bite. Powers 12 is very nice.
I find Bushmills a bit tasteless. Teelings is a new one that I like as well. Redbreast is always good too.

For Scotch I tend towards the more peaty offerings with Laphroaig being a favorite. I always have 10 year around and the Cask Strength is nice as well.

I do like the Bulleit Rye and Buffalo Trace, but other bourbons meh.

David in MN:
I have no idea why but no Irish whiskey has ever tasted good to me. Not to put it down, they are fine products but I just don't like them.

I was nervous someone would bring up Laphroig. I can't drink the stuff. It smells exactly like my grandfather's medicine cabinet. Repulses me. And I tend to like all the other Islay single malts.

I understand not liking the sweetness of bourbon. It repulses a lot of Europeans in particular.

LVWood:
On drinking Jagermeister - Tastes like a shag carpet.
And Guinness tastes like liquid nicotine.

My favorite sipping spirit is Grand Marnier.
Need to be careful though, the vapors burn my eyes when I try to drink it.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: LVWood on September 15, 2017, 10:45:45 AM ---On drinking Jagermeister - Tastes like a shag carpet.
And Guinness tastes like liquid nicotine.

My favorite sipping spirit is Grand Marnier.
Need to be careful though, the vapors burn my eyes when I try to drink it.

--- End quote ---
Jagermeister is FAR worse than shag carpet. 
Love Guinness
I've never thought to sip Grand Marnier.  I've only had it mixed into things and as a shot.  A pizza place near work has the walls lined with Grand Marnier bottles.  They are often giving out shots.  Tasty stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version