Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

What to with a Coyote after a kill?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Cedar:
I would skin it. Practice if nothing else. Learn on a $20 coyote hide, or learn on a $1000 cougar or American Marten, your choice if you are into that sort of thing. Our State trapper uses the coyote carcass for coyote bait.

Cedar

Caveat:

--- Quote from: Cedar on February 15, 2015, 11:01:02 AM ---I would skin it. Practice if nothing else. Learn on a $20 coyote hide, or learn on a $1000 cougar or American Marten, your choice if you are into that sort of thing. Our State trapper uses the coyote carcass for coyote bait.

Cedar

--- End quote ---
Never thought of using the carcass to bait other coyotes.  Good idea. 
Maybe I'll try using one cut into sections for bait for spring bullhead fishing. :crazy:

trekker111:

--- Quote from: TexasGirl on February 15, 2015, 08:05:27 AM ---Shooting coyotes helps save my chickens.  (They tore thru a fence and got two roosters this week.)  I just leave the coyote carcasses for the wild pigs... or bobcats, panthers, & cougars if it's fresh.  Nothing makes it to vulture stage here.

~TG

--- End quote ---

Here everything makes it to vulture stage within 24 hours, anything dead and in the open, what the coyotes don't find and consume during the night, the buzzards and vultures are on within an hour of the sun coming up. That was one of the first things that surprised me when I moved from the north woods to the south east, the rapidity with which dead things, both plants and animals, are decomposed and consumed by the eco system.

IronTeaCup:
Thank you all for the help. I am in the phoenix AZ area and want to go hunting but dont know yet if I want to carry an 80lbs deer home.

I am thinking I of going hunting for them and getting shooting at unknown distances along with some skinning practice.

Maybe one day I will have a coyote coat to keep me warm later in the winter

Cedar:
The state trapper told me that using coyote parts to bait other coyotes works, because the live coyotes want to know what a trespassing coyote is doing in their turf, so they investigate.

I am surprised they are still coming in with it being a 'death scent'.

Cedar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version