Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Honey

(1/3) > >>

jetta2337:
Had a batch of stout beer I wasnt to happy with. It keep stalling out on the ferment. Kind of gave up on it after keeping it on life support for some time. But wanted to try fermenting it with honey. Got both ends from people on this. Do and dont (mostly dont). I have been thinking about it for some time and thought this would be the perfect batch to give it a go with. Tasted it last night to make sure that the beer wasnt contaminated. Tasted ok so we primed it with the honey. Bee looking forward to see if it primes well and if we have a hint of honey flavor. Used some prime South Dakota clover honey for the primer. Guess the only loss will be if it dont work out we lost the 20 some bucks for the beer stuff to make it.  :'(

archer:
Sounds like a good gamble, let is know how it works...

jetta2337:
Ya I wasnt to excited about this beer but now I am.
I used one cup of honey. Started about half a cup of water boiling then took it off the heat. Added one cup of honey to the water. Stirred and then added it like the normal priming sugar. I will let you know in two weeks.

archer:

--- Quote from: jetta2337 on March 17, 2009, 02:04:19 PM ---Ya I wasnt to excited about this beer but now I am.
I used one cup of honey. Started about half a cup of water boiling then took it off the heat. Added one cup of honey to the water. Stirred and then added it like the normal priming sugar. I will let you know in two weeks.

--- End quote ---
Sounds very nice. Let us know if it starts bubbling again.

fritz_monroe:
That's one place I'm not very adventurous.  I've never had a bottle bomb and don't want to start.  Is there a calculation that will put the same amount of fermentable sugars as if you used corn sugar or DME?

As for the honey in the beer, I've done a couple batches that used honey.  They have all been good, but I usually can't taste the honey.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version