Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Use for trapping in SHTF

<< < (4/5) > >>

Cedar:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on February 23, 2015, 08:29:54 PM ---And another good reason to not limit yourself to one food gathering skill.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Exactly..

Cedar

Adam s:

--- Quote from: Cedar on February 23, 2015, 08:26:43 PM ---That is why I was asking a third opinion  ;)
But I think most people think you can set a trap or two and feed yourself. I think probably the best ratio for feeding yourself is rat traps, and a squirrel log for catching squirrels. Providing there are squirrels in the area.

Cedar

--- End quote ---
Not sure how you trap rabbits in the states, but here in Australia you could set 1 rabbit trap and catch a rabbit with very little effort at all. And it can be down with very little skill no need for bedding traps properly just dig a hole in front of the burrow put the trap in and cover it.

Tex4k:
I  think someone was just randomly picking numbers and may not have known much about the great outdoors. People have inhabited the earth for at least 2015 years, some of which were done without the amenities we enjoy now. A person from the heart of the concrete jungle dropped in the Canadian wilderness would likely starve if they had 1000 traps. It's more a matter developing a knowledge of recognizing and enterpreting sign and wildlife habits. It could very well take 100 dead falls and natural cordage snares, I have no working knowledge with these materials. I don't think I would need that many traps working to feed myself here, where I am very familiar with the wildlife and native plants.

Cedar:

--- Quote from: Adam s on February 24, 2015, 03:33:08 AM ---Not sure how you trap rabbits in the states, but here in Australia you could set 1 rabbit trap and catch a rabbit with very little effort at all.

--- End quote ---

Can't you just walk and step on a rabbit there?  ;)

Cedar

nelson96:
There's another thread running here on TSP discussing trapping.  One of the posts talked about how many coons he trapped. 

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49459.msg624304#lastPost

--- Quote from: Ken325 on February 24, 2015, 08:26:54 AM ---we would run 60-100 traps per day.  We would catch about 1 out of 3 traps, so 20 to 30 coons for 2 days hard work.  One day to set and one day to run.
--- End quote ---

If you don't mind eating coon, a person could certainly live on that for protein.  If you canned what you didn't eat fresh, you could sustain yourself through the leaner times when you weren't getting as many animals in the traps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version