Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

Our Own Frequency Resource Listings

<< < (3/8) > >>

CommanderDave:
Northwest metro Atlanta area - 147.015 - offset (Pl 100.0)

KK4DQO

Cavy:
Hello everyone.
Forgive my ignorance as I know nothing of HAM but I had a question. Is it possible to set up a channel for all tsp listeners so if the SHTF we can all communicate with each other? I would think that if zombies do attack, we already have one of the most prepared communities on the planet and we could help each other over the air waves. Just a thought. Would love to hear if this is possible and how we could set it up. Thanks.

CommanderDave:
If you are not a HAM, there are a few options.

1)  FRS frequencies.  These are on all of the Motorola 'talkabout' radios.  There are no license requirements for this band, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of these radios on the market that can be had cheaply.  Typical range will be 2 miles or less.

2)  GMRS frequencies.  Most radios that do FRS will also do GMRS.  Technically, you are supposed to have a special license (you only apply, and pay a fee/tax...no knowledge test), but the reality is that people are using this band everyday with no license, and there is no enforcement effort.  Range is the same as with FRS, but there are GMRS repeaters that can extend your range, but you will DEFINITELY need the license if you want to join a club and get access to those repeaters.

3) CB frequencies.  These are littered with trash talk, but should not be ignored as a viable communication channel in an emergency.

Many HAMs monitor GMRS as well.  Some monitor FRS.  Few monitor CB.  In a SHTF scenario, I would imagine all three options will be monitored more actively.

Sailor:
An offline listing of pre-arranged frequencies for 20-40-80 would be a good idea, along with contact times.

One person manages the list and pm's the list to those who provide a ham call sign. 

This would provide some minimal comsec.

jchiar:

--- Quote from: Sailor on September 05, 2012, 09:03:31 AM ---An offline listing of pre-arranged frequencies for 20-40-80 would be a good idea, along with contact times.

One person manages the list and pm's the list to those who provide a ham call sign. 

This would provide some minimal comsec.

--- End quote ---

Totally Agree. Definitely need an offline listing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version