Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

Tactical Fitness Plan

<< < (3/6) > >>

theBINKYhunter:
Fritz is spot on with a scale. We started using a scale to measure portions and I was amazed at what the correct portion size was with most of the foods that we ate. Some were smaller and some were bigger, but what I learned is that what I thought was the correct portion amount was in fact not the correct amount.

r_w:
Ok, sorry in advance for the soapbox tangent...

Typical American diet is calorie rich and nutrition poor.  Worse is that it is sugar loaded, which feeds bad gut bacteria and fungus--causing nutrient malabsorption, leaky gut, etc. Downward spiral! Antibiotics make this worse, as they kill all the gut microbiome and, just like spraying your yard, it is the bad stuff that grows back faster.

If you kill the bad stuff (by cutting sugar and adding the right supplements) and simultaneously jumpstart and feed the good stuff (probiotics and prebiotics), you will have a much easier time.  The difference between fat people and skinny people isn't in their own genetics, it is in the microbiome of their gut. 

Chemsoldier:
There are a lot of ways that one could go with this.  One place to start would be basic calisthenic style fitness. This is all predicated on the idea that you are already doing cardio and ab work.

For instance, three basic movements are pushes, pulls and squating.  For pushes you can start with push-ups, pulls could be pull-ups/chin-ups (in an ideal world, if you are not there you can do other variations) and for squating just start with body weight squats.

Start doing sets of them three times a week with ascending numbers of reps per week or session.  Throw in some abs.

MON: 3 sets of- 10 Push-ups, 10 body pulls (using TRX system), 20 body weight squats  (30,30 and 60)
WED: 3 sets of- 11 Push-ups, 11 body pulls (using TRX system), 22 body weight squats  (33,33 and 66)
FRI: 3 sets of- 12 Push-ups, 12 body pulls (using TRX system), 25 body weight squats  (36,33 and 75)

MON: 3 sets of- 15 Push-ups, 15 body pulls (using TRX system), 27 body weight squats  (45,45 and 60)
Etc

If you get stuck, do a few sessions with the same rep structure before you step up, or hit the protein a little harder after the work out.  The goal is to help increase your muscle tone and mobility even if this does not cause you to lose weight.  This is also supposing you are doing some cardio along with it.

There are a million other exercises, progression methods, etc that can be done. This type of approach is just one that is not terribly equipment intensive and I am familiar with from the military.

Once you are used to the air squats, if you want a kick in the junk on the last work out day of the week you can always try "Sally Ups."  Its pain...with music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CswK7e_Bep8

In the same vein, there is always "Roxanne."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39NVwBpcSKg

A decent push-up progression program can be found here:
http://hundredpushups.com/test.html
You can ignore all the stuff where it is trying to sell you stuff.  Just concentrate on the training method.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: PrepperJim on February 08, 2016, 08:00:34 AM ---They are pretty good tools. One thing I do is before I put food in my mouth, I see what the "cost" is (ie calories) and where I stand for the day. I target a deficit of 750 to 1000 calories a day. I don't always make it (Superbowl Sunday was a tough one, but I could have eaten more).

--- End quote ---
Great to have the tools available.  I set it up saying that I wanted to "lose 2 pounds a week"  It didn't make me lose that amount, but did give me a good calorie goal.  I also knew that I needed to stay "around" that goal.  If I was over by 100-200 calories, I was still good.  It got rid of the stress.

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on February 08, 2016, 08:41:38 AM ---Fritz is spot on with a scale. We started using a scale to measure portions and I was amazed at what the correct portion size was with most of the foods that we ate. Some were smaller and some were bigger, but what I learned is that what I thought was the correct portion amount was in fact not the correct amount.

--- End quote ---
Isn't it incredible how much is 5 ounces of grilled chicken?  I was WAY off on what a serving of almost everything.

David in MN:
Couple of things...

All diets work. If you select a diet it will make you think about food choices. Merely being conscious of food choices will have an effect.

As far as choosing a new workout, I'm kinda on board with Chem. The old wrestlers used to "warm up" with hundreds of body weight squats, pushups, and pullups. Not the easiest of tasks. My opinion for a purchase would be a kettlebell and a jump rope. Those two will push you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version