Author Topic: Louisiana  (Read 14683 times)

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
  • Universal Man in Training
    • Freedom Louisiana
Re: Louisiana
« Reply #480 on: March 18, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »
A shovel would be good!

I am definitely trying to start earlyish on this rather than making it drag out. I'd rather munch on some food and drink a few beers by 5 oclock.

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #481 on: March 19, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »
OK an update.

I stated April 5th and apparently I can't look at a calender straight. I meant to say March 29th! (Two weekends away).

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #482 on: March 19, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »
... I'd rather munch on some food and drink a few beers by 5 oclock.
OK an update.
I stated April 5th and apparently I can't look at a calender straight. I meant to say March 29th! (Two weekends away).
Maybe you made it to the beers before 5? It's Lent after all...

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #483 on: March 19, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
PS - I just changed my forum signature because it seemed apropos... but that is the logo of a beer put out by Southern Prohibition Brewing in Hattiesburg. For those of you in SE LA and the MS Gulf Coast, you could get your hands on some pretty easily, I'd think... it's not overly available up here in Jackson.

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #484 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »
Yooo!

Don't think we've forgotten our Louisiana Diaspora buddy.  I have definitely had Southern Prohibition. I have actually been surprised by how good some of the Southern Mississippi beer companies are. Craft/tasty beers are definitely becoming significantly more popular around here.

I hadn't seen that beer yet (But I also hadn't been looking). I'll have to find it. I hate fire ants.... with a passion. We were mulching the garden beds earlier and they're everywhere. Not necessarily in like their mounds, but they have scouts on every piece of ground everywhere, its just insane.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #485 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »
Re: fire ants
To be expected here, right? But my new land is very shaded and remained very wet most of the winter. So I haven't seen ant #1. Maybe later.

I just really identify with being a fire ant... not just a regular ant... as a prepper. I have a very strong "leave me alone and stay out of my way" mentality.

Wish I could come help you plant some trees. Seems like folks around here are starting to get a lot of good stuff done.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #486 on: March 21, 2014, 05:57:07 AM »
Well with the change in date im pretty sure I wont be able to come now :'(. We have a birthday party for the family. Imbbummed out now

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #487 on: March 22, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
Nooooooooooooo....
We're also probably running a mini excavator as well to put in swales. (This has already need to have happened, but it just so happens I can finally get on this).

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #488 on: March 22, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
Re: fire ants
To be expected here, right? But my new land is very shaded and remained very wet most of the winter. So I haven't seen ant #1.

No questions asked, they want to heat. Lots and LOTS of sun. The #1 enemy of fire ants is shade. Therefore... forest gardens are the answer. hah. They love to be out in the fields where they can make their multi-feet tall mounds. I couldn't take it anymore so I went around and threw fire ant killer down about 2 weeks ago. Gotta keep them in check before they over run the place. I've heard it before, and I believe it that if you let them continue on, they'll multiply extremely fast, but if you beat them back it'll take them a little while to recover.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #489 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:12 AM »
No questions asked, they want to heat. Lots and LOTS of sun. The #1 enemy of fire ants is shade. Therefore... forest gardens are the answer. hah. They love to be out in the fields where they can make their multi-feet tall mounds. I couldn't take it anymore so I went around and threw fire ant killer down about 2 weeks ago. Gotta keep them in check before they over run the place. I've heard it before, and I believe it that if you let them continue on, they'll multiply extremely fast, but if you beat them back it'll take them a little while to recover.

Yeah, I was also always told to beat them back as soon as you see them. My grandfather used to pour a small bit of gasoline on the mound, let it soak in a few minutes, and light 'em up. <NOTE: I KNOW this was HORRIBLE... but that's what he did out in the middle of nowhere back in the day.>

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #490 on: March 24, 2014, 05:12:23 AM »
No judgement from me Angus. This is what we do in the south lol! !!!!!!

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #491 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
So who else is boiling crawfish for Easter? We're having the whole family over at the house so we'll be getting 2 sacks plus chicken and all the fixings

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #492 on: April 19, 2014, 12:59:25 AM »
So who else is boiling crawfish for Easter? We're having the whole family over at the house so we'll be getting 2 sacks plus chicken and all the fixings
Shoulda.... I just inherited a triple gas fryer and big boilin' pots. hey are begging me for mudbugs. Probably in a couple of weeks.

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #493 on: April 21, 2014, 08:09:46 PM »
Weeeeeelllll....

We're going to be doing our crawfish boil here in a few weeks. May 3rd is the date. All Loozianan TSPers are welcome. Not really a "TSP event" but I know of at least two other TSP guys coming. (Louisiana Survivor is one).

Let me know if you any of you guys want to stop by!

Offline vincent2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #494 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
can anyone feel it in their bones that time may be getting short? since jan.  i've really stepped it up. got the chickens, fruit trees, and the garden going. still have to improve on my canning and seed banking. its mediocre at best

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #495 on: April 29, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »
can anyone feel it in their bones that time may be getting short? since jan.  i've really stepped it up. got the chickens, fruit trees, and the garden going. still have to improve on my canning and seed banking. its mediocre at best

Many things will make it feel like time is getting short. Stay focused on what you can affect today and the small steps you're going to take to affect something more tomorrow. Even if all hell is breaking loose, stick to that. It's what people have always done. Bottom line, don't freak out and do what you can do when you can do it.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #496 on: April 30, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
Got some seeds out of a tomato road tramp gave me gonna see if I can start them Thursday

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #497 on: July 03, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »
what's the dealio guys!? so Arthur is harassing the east coast (yay). just wanted to wish everyone a happy 4th. hope everyone's working, healthy, and still prepping. god bless Louisiana preppers

Offline Aniera

• Prepper
« Reply #498 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »
Ha yeah we have kinda left this thread a bit dormant for a while.  Must be the busy time of the year.  Hope you are doing well too.  You think anyone would be interested if we tried to get that meetup to finally happen? 

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #499 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
I know I'm one of those up Northeasters in Mississippi, but I would love for a meetup to eventually happen. I'm back and forth to St Francisville and NOLA on a pretty regular basis these days. I'll be stuck in upstate NY for most of AUG-OCT, but if it happens after that, I'm in.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #500 on: July 14, 2014, 06:07:13 PM »
I know I'm one of those up Northeasters in Mississippi, but ... I'm in.

Likewise.  Work and family permitting, of course.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #501 on: July 17, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
if i can get like 2 weeks heads up i'd be down!

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #502 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
Speaking of which, we still need to hang out. I'm actually going down to New Orleans tonight to get hibachi steak.

I'll shoot you a text to see if you would like to join us (last minute I know).

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #503 on: October 22, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
Mark Shepard event up in Shreveport.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/restoration-agriculture-workshop-tickets-12839267595

I have signed up if any of ya'll would like to car pool or something like that, let me know.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
probly not gonna make it up there trjg. how's everything up there on your homestead? how's everyone doing this fall?

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #505 on: October 25, 2014, 07:08:42 AM »
Building the house on 2 acres. Getting done before January, planning on trees soon.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #506 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »
Oh yeah blu? Got any pics? Very interested!

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #507 on: October 25, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
Never mind brother. I just noticed you're thread. Imma check that out.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #508 on: December 09, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »
WARNING: This post may make you feel bad and it isn't even Ash Wednesday on Bourbon.

From the map we've created, there is only 1 volunteer for Citizens Assisting Citizens in Louisiana and 1 in Mississippi (me). As a pseudo-adoptee of Louisiana, I am posting here to hound all of you to go over to cacteam.com and sign up. You don't have to have a truck and you don't have to pinkie swear you'll show up for anything specific, but you WILL be in the loop so that you can jump in and help your fellow men if the SHTF for them and you are able/willing at that time.

Even if you aren't personally willing to sign up, check out the website and share it within your social networks. I kinda expected a slough of people from the coast to sign up given that they have experienced SHTF in a very real way. Getting the word out is a) important and b) difficult if people don't take action.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #509 on: December 09, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
Shreveport area,HAM and underground facility.Truck driver with heavy equipment ability,radio,electrical,electronics,computer ,plumbing,fencing,hunting and diaper changing skills.Gunsmith(with class 3 included),firearms instructor,and EX-commercial loader of 100,000 round a month reload shop.Also fairly skilled at long range pistol and rifle shooting.