Author Topic: preban and postban gas cans?  (Read 11055 times)

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
preban and postban gas cans?
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
This was a new one for me.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/
http://www.hummerhub.com/Wedco_Jerrycans.html

First, the CARB-Compliant Petrol Jerrycan holds 5.3 US gallons of gasoline and is legal for sale in states and districts like California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire (so much for live free or die), New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington DC that have adopted CARB regulations for portable fuel containers.

Second, CARB-Compliant Petrol Jerrycans are date-coded on the side of the body to show that they were manufactured prior to the 2009 childproof requirement.

I realize that proper fuel storage is important, but we are now date stamping gas cans.

Any one know anything about Wedco cans?

Tommy Jefferson

Re: preban and postban gas cans?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:10:30 AM »
More government nonsense to prevent manufacturers from selling useful products people want.

Someone should develop a line of fuel cans and specifically advertise them as "Illegal in California!".

I'm telling you it would be a great marketing angle.  I would buy five just on general principle.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:34 AM »
CARB regulations are going federal, every state will comply.  I don't remember if it is this year or next, but it will happen.  I looiked into it a while back when I was trying to order some of the military Scepter cans which aren't compliant - but are much more functional and practical.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
Did you purchase some Scepter cans?  They seem to be highly thought of in the various user comments.  What has been your experience?

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »
I ordered four of the Wedco pre ban 20L cans and spouts from Expedition Exchange a couple weeks ago. I filled them with gas the other day and with them on the passenger side floor board on the way home I couldn't smell any fumes. The lids seal very well but can be a bit tough to open however I think they may get a little better with some use. The Wedco cans have an added pin others do not which adds to the caps security. They are a good quality product, I highly recommend them if you are in the market for a metal can. In fact I am thinking about ordering a couple more in the near future, maybe a couple of the 10L cans.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »
Did you purchase some Scepter cans?  They seem to be highly thought of in the various user comments.  What has been your experience?

No, the going price was about $60-80 EACH CAN since the very few vendors knew they had you by the balls.  I have four of the Walmart el-cheapos instead.  They aren't in the same ballpark, but I couldn't justify the cost.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
Dan, thanks for the comments.

I live in Virginia.  To avoid the CARB compliant cans, I may have to have my order shipped to a "free state."

Stein, $60-80 is too much.  Expedition Exchange has them in the $40's with a $5 discount if you buy 4 cans.  Not mil sup prices but a lot of the surplus dealers are showing out of stock.

Now, the question is poly Scepter or steel Wedco?

A year or so ago, I was looking at cans when gas prices were all over the place.  The cheapo cans have a warning that they are not to store fuel for use in automobiles.  Is that a safety thing or a contamination issue?

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »

I would have preferred the Scepter cans myself since denting and rust would have been a nonissue with them but decided on the Wedco cans for the following reasons.

Yes they dent and can rust but metal cans do not breath like plastic cans do making them better for long term storage. This is most important to me.
The Wedco cans from Expedition Exchange are new and have a lining material that should keep rust at bay for years to come.
Wedco cans for the moment are available unlike the Scepter cans and many of the surplus cans.
Price on the Wedco cans was lower than on the Scepter had I been able to get them.

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »
Question...  What are the gov't-mandated design changes, and how do they affect actual performance for gasoline storage?  I know very little about that subject, so for all I know it could be neutral or even positive.

If you care that much about it, maybe you'll know enough to teach me something.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
Child proof cap on the can and spill proof spout are the two things that I am aware of in addition to the actual CARB certification. From what I have been seeing on the web many of the CARB certified spill proof spouts are crap and have a tendency to leak of all things.

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
I figured the purpose of a spout is "spill" in a controlled fashion.  How can a spout be spill-proof if that's what it's supposed to do anyway?

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

I live in Virginia.  To avoid the CARB compliant cans, I may have to have my order shipped to a "free state."

Stein, $60-80 is too much.  Expedition Exchange has them in the $40's with a $5 discount if you buy 4 cans.  Not mil sup prices but a lot of the surplus dealers are showing out of stock.

A year or so ago, I was looking at cans when gas prices were all over the place.  The cheapo cans have a warning that they are not to store fuel for use in automobiles.  Is that a safety thing or a contamination issue?

Does Expedition Exchange have the Scepter cans or just the Wedco ones?  I was looking for the Scepter ones.

The Scepter cans are pretty indestructible from what I have read.  I saw videos of Hummers driving over them and them being dropped from pretty high.  They will never rust and won't break your toe if you drop them.

Yes, carrying fuel in vehicles is dangerous.  Built in fuel tanks are located so they will not likely be ruptured during an impact, are protected by metal and frame and are not likely to leak into the cabin if they do rupture.  If you have a fuel can in the vehicle and it punctures or leaks, you are soaked in gas.  I know a couple of guys that had a single 5 gallon can in the bed of a truck, secured.  They got in a wreck and it was punctured and leaked all over one of the guys.  It ignited him and really did some bad things - months in the hospital.

In an emergency, I would take extra fuel, but not every day.  My car holds 20 gallons with a 500 mile range and our Suburban has a 40 gallon tank with a 600 mile range.  For everyday needs, I keep a full tank.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 05:38:04 PM »
I figured the purpose of a spout is "spill" in a controlled fashion.  How can a spout be spill-proof if that's what it's supposed to do anyway?

Spill as in the can was knocked over spilling the gas out on the ground. The spouts have some sort of dead man valve wherein you must not only tip the can but perform some other contortion in order to get gas to poor through the spout.  ::)

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

Does Expedition Exchange have the Scepter cans or just the Wedco ones?  I was looking for the Scepter ones.

The Scepter cans are pretty indestructible from what I have read.  I saw videos of Hummers driving over them and them being dropped from pretty high.  They will never rust and won't break your toe if you drop them.

Yes, carrying fuel in vehicles is dangerous.  Built in fuel tanks are located so they will not likely be ruptured during an impact, are protected by metal and frame and are not likely to leak into the cabin if they do rupture.  If you have a fuel can in the vehicle and it punctures or leaks, you are soaked in gas.  I know a couple of guys that had a single 5 gallon can in the bed of a truck, secured.  They got in a wreck and it was punctured and leaked all over one of the guys.  It ignited him and really did some bad things - months in the hospital.

In an emergency, I would take extra fuel, but not every day.  My car holds 20 gallons with a 500 mile range and our Suburban has a 40 gallon tank with a 600 mile range.  For everyday needs, I keep a full tank.

Expedition Exchange does not carry the Scepter cans to my knowledge. Brigade Quartermaster carries both the Scepter  water and fuel cans but has a “Does not comply with CARB regulations. For Military Purchase and Use only.” statement next to the fuel cans.

Offline schild

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 06:20:09 PM »
I was sold on Scepter cans until they no longer imported them and I wasn't going to pay $70+ on ebay for used cans.
Here is the best deal around Wedco cans(I do think they are more leak proof than Scepter) $29+ $10 shipping and that includes the spouts. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220291482946#ht_500wt_1840

If you want U.S. manufactured military water cans almost identical to the Scepter gas cans( these are for water only, the gasket is different than the gas cans and the spout doesn't fit) these cans are $15 SHIPPED, yes that is CORRECT $15 shipped-

Go to www.buylci.com

Upper right corner click on "shop now".

Click on "personal items".
They did change the website and make them harder to find.