Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

Chem's 1 in 15 Ham Plan

<< < (3/11) > >>

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on October 30, 2014, 09:50:46 PM ---
I brought one of my Baofengs along and have been working on programming it.  The peanut gallery is right.  Programming the Baofeng without chirp is freaking awful.

--- End quote ---

Something that came to my attention is the possible need to use a baofeng HT as a GRMS transceiver.  I realize there are regulations on wattage etc.  But knowing frequencies and tones maybe a handy addition to your docs in case you need to communicate with 2 way VHF not on the ham bands.

Again know the regs from FCC.

Chemsoldier:
Update for 13 November 2014 (Note: This was written while abroad and I am just posting it now)

Being on TDY in a foreign country and spending most of my time working has made finding time to operate and utilize my own ham equipment difficult.  However, I have gotten some things that is moving towards my goals.

I have spent a lot of time on the blogs, podcasts and Youtube channels of my fellow hams.  I have learned a bit about HF operations, reviewed how to manually program my Baofeng and assorted other topics.  I also have studied for my General ticket from the ARRL study guide.  I have also been plotting upcoming ham purchases.

The Youtube has been enormously helpful.  I have watched people do things and seen things I had only read about in magazines and books.  It has definitely helped my general ability to understand what I am reading to see the item and see it used by a person.  I cannot recommend it enough.  Just as one should spend lots of time listening on the radio, watching the youtubes is likewise valuable.

I cannot wait to get home and start monitoring and talking more on the Baofeng.  There is a VE session in the second week of December.  I am going to test then, so it will involve some study in the coming weeks.  I will take both the General and Extra test though I have no expectation of passing since I have not really been studying for it.

Carl:
ChemSoldier...great plan...talk to other local HAMs and build a relationship...but remember sometimes you have to build your own group by promoting new HAMs and helping others...to pay forward is a good way as SMURFHUNTER may tell you....he is part of "my" group.

Chemsoldier:
Just back from Thanksgiving travels,

I got some studying done for my General and read a bit.  The big thing though was getting to operate more on the Baofeng.  I had the magna-mount up and monitored the national simplex calling freq most of the time.  Unfortunately I only made two contacts in over a thousand miles of travel.  Fortunately the first was right after getting on the interstate and we were headed in the same direction so we talked on and off for about three hours.  Another was a fella sending from his house taking a break from HF due to atmospheric conditions who put out a call on the off chance that a passing car like mine would be monitoring.  We had a decent rag chew before I passed out of range.  Near the end of the trip I started to have a lot of static when something would break squelch.  It continued even after I got home.  I think water from a rain storm may have gotten in my mobile antenna.  I need to attach my whip antenna and see if the static on the local repeater goes away.

Tested the GMRS radios around the neighborhood today.  I had the 7 year old sit in the kitchen while I walked around the neighborhood.  We could talk between one radio inside the house and most places we go in the neighborhood (though when on the playground at the park, the signal quality was a lot better on top of the jungle gym  ;D ).  A two pack of radios may be Christmas gifts for the two families on our block that know and are cool with the prepping.

On the agenda this week is a lot more studying and a ham radio club meeting.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on November 30, 2014, 08:34:59 PM ---Another was a fella sending from his house taking a break from HF due to atmospheric conditions who put out a call on the off chance that a passing car like mine would be monitoring.  We had a decent rag chew before I passed out of range.

--- End quote ---
Funny, I had a random call like that a couple of weeks ago from a guy passing by on I-10, about 10 miles away.  It was almost HF-ish.

--- Quote ---Tested the GMRS radios around the neighborhood today.  I had the 7 year old sit in the kitchen while I walked around the neighborhood.  ...  A two pack of radios may be Christmas gifts for the two families on our block that know and are cool with the prepping.

--- End quote ---
What kind of ranges did you get?  In similar neighborhood walk-arounds, we're getting 1/2 mile on FRS, 3/4 mile on GMRS.   Good presents!  A similar gift from around 2002-ish was a godsend after Katrina.

--- Quote ---On the agenda this week is a lot more studying and a ham radio club meeting.

--- End quote ---
Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version