The TSP Marketplace > Members Support Brigade Forum

Strawberry Pot

<< < (3/5) > >>

ModernSurvival:

--- Quote from: jetta2337 on April 23, 2009, 11:50:51 AM ---Will the strawberries be ok in winter time up in say Wyoming if you leave the pot out in the winter? Put a tarp or something on it to protect it from the wind and some weather and will everything come back ok the next year? Bring it inside is not an option for me being the size of my house.

--- End quote ---

Personally I would like bury them in a pile of straw mulch or something like that.  A container has advantages and disadvantages, one disadvantage is how bad the roots can freeze in a Wyoming winter.  Of course the nice part in in spring you can then just use the same straw to mulch beds.

jetta2337:
I will do that. I could make a box to throw around it with the straw in it so that the wind wont blow that away.  :D

firetoad:
Not to hijack, but to just show off another option for strawberry pots...

I have one of these hanging, 6" PVC planters on either side of my porch.

Jim3:
firetoad, any idea how big the plants can get in a tube like that?  It might be what I need to do to keep my berries away from the critters.

Also, I cant seem to find any more strawberry plants in the stores anymore.  Are they out of season now?

firetoad:

--- Quote from: Jim3 on April 24, 2009, 07:48:07 PM ---firetoad, any idea how big the plants can get in a tube like that?  It might be what I need to do to keep my berries away from the critters.

Also, I cant seem to find any more strawberry plants in the stores anymore.  Are they out of season now?

--- End quote ---

As far as size, I really have no experience with this particular variety.  I am expecting that the plants will nearly cover the entire planter.  What I like about these planters is the fact that they get the strawberries away from slugs.  I can remember that that was our number one strawberry fruit nemesis growing up.   :)

As far as being out of season, I have seen live plants at the local stores.  I actually planted bare root plants several weeks ago and they look like what you see in the pics already. 

I purchased these...  Ozark Beauty Strawberry Plants

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version