Author Topic: Jacks building soil show notes  (Read 679 times)

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
Jacks building soil show notes
« on: March 12, 2020, 06:25:23 AM »
I am in the process of building some new raised beds for vegetables again. I have listened to Jack's podcasts about building soil, growing food, and raised bed 101. He gives specifics about what he adds to the soil. Is there anywhere that this is written down? I have searched and cannot find it.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Jacks building soil show notes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:14 PM »
I don't know Jack's soil building mix/process.  He may follow something along the lines of Mel Bartholomew's mix (the square foot garden guy).  1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite.  I don't know.  But I think that's too costly for a larger scale (or any scale if you ask me).

What I've been known to use:
Existing soil - Captain Obvious.  And add other top soil as it's available. 
Manure - I do have access to horse and chicken manure.  So all of my gardens have a healthy dose of those.  Though I don't recommend horse manure because it's really weedy. 
Compost - I don't do the scientific method here.  I just throw stuff my chickens can't eat in a pile.  Coffee grounds, banana/orange peals, leaves, grass, dirt, clippings, etc...  Manure and bedding.  Crushed egg shells.
Ash from the fireplace/pit - spread thinly.
Mulch - grass clippings, wood chips, pine needles, saw dust (non-treated).  Not initially part of the soil.  It's just a cover that eventually decomposes.

YMMV