Author Topic: New "killer app" for greenhouse and high tunnel entry; TARP ZIPPERS!!!  (Read 6019 times)

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
I just watched my n-th video on how to build a high-tunnel and ran across an idea I had never seen before!  Instead of framing in a door for a greenhouse, just add a zipper to the plastic with these peel and stick tarp zippers.  Want a door?  Add two and you get a roll up door.

Found it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am1Tso2l3kc&feature=player_detailpage

Lots of suppliers if you search "tarp zipper", but here is one for reference:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_179852-1168-5363_?PL=1&productId=3369316

It's so simple and brilliant that I'm doing a double face palm!  Hope you you guys get as much mileage from this as I'm expecting to!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: New "killer app" for greenhouse and high tunnel entry; TARP ZIPPERS!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:16:16 AM »
They are a good idea.  I've seen some small commercially made greenhouses using zippers.

Here is a source for these zippers.  Greenhouse Zipper Door

I've never dealt with them, so can't say if they are any good or not.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
FYI...My local Home Depot has them too.

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »
I've been using these on my greenhouse for a couple of years, and they have been my biggest source of frustrations.  When it gets really cold (like right now in the single digits) the adhesive loosens and the zippers fall off the plastic with the first gust of wind.  In the past I have used a sewing awl and attached it after a couple hours of stitching.  Conceptually they are great, in practice however . . . 

If someone has any ideas on how they are keeping the zippers attached during the cold and wind I'm very open.

Herbdoc

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »
When it gets really cold (like right now in the single digits) the adhesive loosens and the zippers fall off the plastic with the first gust of wind.

I noticed that the ZipWall brand has standard and a heavy duty kits.
The Standard version is "for temporary interior barriers where temperatures don’t go below 55-Degree Fahrenheit".
The Heavy Duty "is ideal if your workspace barrier will be up for a while, if there will be a lot of traffic in and out, or if the temperature at your worksite will go below freezing.".

Both can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/mn/search?_encoding=UTF8&tag=chrisdaughtry-20&ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957&rh=i:aps,k:Tarp%20Zipper%20Door&field-keywords=Tarp%20Zipper%20Door&url=search-alias%3Daps&ajr=0%23