Author Topic: using cheap or old gypsum board as a mulch, and for ph adjustment  (Read 2597 times)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
I have a friend who buys cheap wall board from hardware stores or gets it from remodeling jobs and he lays it down like a blanket on top of his soil. He does this to adjust ph. Last year he simply plowed it into the soil in the spring after it decomposed all winter. This year he intends to put some down just before planting and poke holes in it where he will place his plants. He says it retains moisture underneath and prevents weeds as well as reflecting heat. 

Offline fuzzy

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: using cheap or old gypsum board as a mulch, and for ph adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
I have read where gypsum will also settle a muddy pond and clear the water up.  Don't know if it's true, but plan on trying it sometime.  It had something to do with the negative/positive charge in the pond that kept the particles suspended and wouldn't settle out to the bottom. Just saying...

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 07:58:20 PM »
I have read where gypsum will also settle a muddy pond and clear the water up.  Don't know if it's true, but plan on trying it sometime.  It had something to do with the negative/positive charge in the pond that kept the particles suspended and wouldn't settle out to the bottom. Just saying...

I have heard that as well.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »
Pure gypsum as a soil amendment is one thing. Drywall is not intended as such and who the hell knows what "acceptable level" of contamination is in it as it's not for consumption.  All sorts of nasty stuff might be there. Once it's in the soil there's no getting it out.
Then there's the source. Remember the drywall from China controversy? Outgassing sulfur compounds? You might look at how drywall is made here and say "no problem" but what is in foreign stuff? Easy to hide all sorts of nasty chemicals(expensive to properly dispose of) if you wanted to.

Of course nobody would do that kind of thing just to increase their profits would they? 

Offline fuzzy

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »
Perfesser lmao!  Naw, they wouldn't do that!  Perish the thought!  I used to worry about all the pollutants until about 30 or 40 years ago.  That's when I read that a mother's milk was unsafe for her baby to drink!  That did it for me.  If you can't trust your momma, who can you trust?

I'm glad you reminded me about the dirty Chinese drywall, I had forgotten about that.  Don't believe I'll be putting any in my muddy pond.  It's loaded up with catfish, bass and perch.  Could be depending on them one of these days!  Thanks for the reminder!

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »
Might crush some of it, mix it with water, then give it to the health department to test. tell them it came from your water well.