Author Topic: Just received my order of Puxing radios - what can I do before I get my license?  (Read 7508 times)

Offline aakelley

• Prepper
Just went down to the post office today and picked up my shipment of 3 (need two to use and one as a backup) Puxing 777 radios from MURS-radio.com.  I am working on getting my HAM license, but what can I do with them before I have it>  Can I use them as a scanner?  Can I program them to MURS and/or FRS frequencies and transmit?

Thanks for any ideas.

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
You can program any frequency you'd like into the radio as long as you are just monitoring. If your local PD or FD are on VHF you should be able to monitor them as well. Your local weather broadcasts can also be heard on any one of the following:

Also, don't forget to start listening to your local ham radio repeaters as well. It is always good to know the proper operating procedures before you get your license and start transmitting. You can find local ham radio repeaters here:

http://artscipub.com/repeaters/

- Rob

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
Can I use them as a scanner?  Can I program them to MURS and/or FRS frequencies and transmit?

Thanks for any ideas.

Yes.

Yes and no.  Yes you can program MURS, no you can't program FRS.

Also...ham, not HAM.  It isn't an acronym.

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
... no you can't program FRS.

Mine programmed just fine.  I did have to change the STEP setting to 5K though.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
Mine programmed just fine.  I did have to change the STEP setting to 5K though.

I meant legally. 

95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.

(a) You may only use an FCC certified FRS unit. (You can identify an FCC
    certified FRS unit by the label placed on it by the manufacturer.)

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
There is nothing illegal about programming any radio, it's the transmission that may be illegal.  I assume you are referring to the 5watt issue on FRS

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
There is nothing illegal about programming any radio, it's the transmission that may be illegal.  I assume you are referring to the 5watt issue on FRS

You assume right.  FRS radios are limited to 500 milliwatts so I'm guessing the radio in question would be well out of spec.