Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Pistols and Handguns

The Roland Special: A Concept Gun

<< < (2/7) > >>

LVWood:
Neophyte here; Why would you need a "long range" concealed carry weapon?

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: LVWood on April 04, 2017, 11:25:16 AM ---Neophyte here; Why would you need a "long range" concealed carry weapon?

--- End quote ---
In the case of the original Roland Specials, they were designed for situations where carrying a long arm was not feasible and the pistol, concealed at that, would be your only weapon.

I can think of quite a few pistol shots that had to be made at longer range, though admittedly many were LE shootings.  Then again, most well documented shootings are.

Carl:

--- Quote from: LVWood on April 04, 2017, 11:25:16 AM ---Neophyte here; Why would you need a "long range" concealed carry weapon?

--- End quote ---

I have watched Jerry do this,he is better than average with most any weapon.1000 yard pistol shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxASg5uVNY

Alan Georges:
I like the Rowland concept: take what's range-proven and make it practical for carry.  And I appreciate that this is being done by people who actually know their stuff.  Not sure it's for me though, and here are some thoughts as to why.

(1) If I have to use a concealed weapon, odds are that a nearly stock pistol will suffice.  Having something exotic and expensive... it's just fodder for the prosecutor to come after my butt.  Also something cheap and common is more likely to be returned.  Something cool and exotic might need to be kept longer (or just kept, period) for "evidence" or "testing" or any number of other excuses.

(2) Additional training and additional expense.  Bleh, got enough problem keeping up as it is.

(3) What's it really going to be better at doing?  Longer range shots, faster.  Is that really what a CCW is for?  I'm sure it's marginally better for mugging-distance shooting, but probably not enough to make it worth the extra expense and trouble.

(4) If I have an inkling that things could get that serious, I'll step up from the CCW and have a carbine at hand.  The Rowland... it's pretty cool, but it's sort of a half-step.  A little more effective than a basic concealed pistol, less effective than a 5.56, but it's neither fish nor fowl.  It does fit well in the gap, but I'm not sure it's all that important a gap to fill.

I'm not going to badmouth the idea, but it's not for me right now.  The fact is, more training is my path for the foreseeable future.

FreeLancer:
I might give it whirl, I've been thinking about building up a custom Glock.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version