Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Pistols and Handguns

The Roland Special: A Concept Gun

<< < (3/7) > >>

iam4liberty:
The big firearm schools have been spending a lot of time with this concept.  Each has developed a similar approach tweaked in one direction or the other. Front Sight in particular has been a vocal advocate of this type of design for conceakef carry.  See this video as why this is proving attractve:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1442PFVDY

And, of course, glock is making it easier with its MOS line.

CR Williams:
Re: Experience with pistol-mounted RDS.

I carried a G19 with a Trijicon RMR for a while. (The RMR is currently on an SI-made G35 slide with an Endo stock adapter and KAK Shockwave brace attached. I'm running a different aftermaket sight currently.)

The RMR takes some preparatory work to pickup quickly when you first get it. If you set it as recommended (close to the top of the front [suppressor height] sights, it's a pretty easy transition. The best thing about it is that you can run it just like a rifle red-dot in that you focus on the target and let the dot move into your area of vision. Once it's sighted in--10 yards is what SI recommends--the round will go where the dot is set. There is no need to move your eyes to the dot in most situations.

At the close ranges where most reactive gunfights take place you don't run sights anyway as a rule. Reference the slide, the top or edge of the slide, or use the window of the dot-sight to frame the target (sometimes called the 'window of death' or 'TV screen of death'). Done that way it's no slower than regular sights. This is good for whatever your limit is with alternative sighting techniques.

Deliberate shots and longer range is where the red dot works well--I got face-size groups at 50 yards and stayed within 8 inches at a hundred yards standing unsupported the first time I tried it. I've seen people hit IDPA-sized steel at 200 yards with one too.

If you're going to run a dot-sight on a pistol go for the higher-end systems. Trijicon and DeltaPoint seem to be preferred for fighting guns. Less than that it may not be able to handle the stresses imposed by the pistol firing. Jury is still out on some of the newer RDSs for now.

Also, get the slide milled. I've heard of problems with the multi-system guns such as Glock and S&W M&P has. And do get backup sights.

That's my nutshell version of it.

Chemsoldier:
Thank you for the impressions on your experience on pistol red dots.

xxdabroxx:
I'm not too keen on shooting a compensated pistol (particularly with a short barrel) without eye pro.  Seems like the comp would be bad for a concealed carry gun, particularly if the BG got close to you and you were firing from near the holster.

danimal:
Regarding close to the body/holster shots watch a few of the videos linked in the thread for a idea of what one instructor shows.

I am 4/10 at 75yds with a 9mm. Usually, by the time we suggest trying it I am tired, coffee/blood ratio is off and the wife has called twice already. I just don't think I'd pay for, retrain and need an RMR or the like.

It might be interesting to try as a project but I haven't heard of anyone at the Ft Bragg matches using one. Lots of civilian aftermarket options similar to it but those Race guns are super tricked out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version