Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Staple products found in our childhood kitchens, bathrooms, garages, etc

<< < (5/7) > >>

Tyler Durden:
Workbench:  duct tape, shop towels.

Cedar:

--- Quote from: bcksknr on June 13, 2015, 02:16:38 PM ---     We used to have a product called "Oil-O-Sol". It was a pale yellow oil that I now realize had an odor of Linseed oil and pine.  When I got a sliver that was too deep to dig out, My mother would put on a bandaid , with the pad soaked in the stuff and by the next day, the sliver had "drawn" to the surface and could be pulled out with a tweezer. Worked every time. No longer available, I made up some linseed oil and thinned it with a little turpentine. It works just as well. Never got infected either.

--- End quote ---

My great grandmother told me this one and it took me 20 years to try it, but it indeed works. Put a piece of raw salt pork (bacon) on the sliver. And it slips out. Works for fine cactus needles as well.

Cedar

Jerryrig:
       Parafin wax, Butcher string, plaster of Paris. All in grandmas bottom drawer in the kitchen.     
Fantastic thread by the way!

David in MN:
OK, I get to sound like a lunatic old guy.

Borax
Bar Keeper's Friend
Lye (I make soap)
Lithium grease

I tend to prefer naphtha over mineral spirits but you could go either way.

Nitrile gloves (because of that list)

r_w:

--- Quote from: David in MN on June 15, 2015, 12:20:50 PM ---
Nitrile gloves (because of that list)

--- End quote ---

But it tasted so good when you dipped your hand in it! Man, that may come back to bite us...

Grandpa also has a bottle of Hoppe's gun cleaner in the shop for cleaning spark plugs and other things that got carbon build up. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version