Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Needles & Strings

What techniques you know and what you would like to learn?

<< < (6/7) > >>

Frugal Upstate:
Things I know and do pretty regularly/well:  Knitting & Sewing

Things I know how to do but rarely do:  Needlepoint, cross-stitch, basic embroidery, some braiding (Komihimo & basic "friendship bracelet" types)

Things I'd like to learn:  Improve knitting (Intarsia), weaving (although I probably won't have time to tackle that for a long time)

AvenueQ:

--- Quote from: RitaRose1945 on February 15, 2014, 10:31:17 AM ---Okay, so I looked and an inkle loom was interesting, but I also saw some heddle looms, and it looked like you could do more on them.  But I have no clue what I'm talking about, the heddle looms just looked wider/bigger.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Most Rigid Heddle Looms will come in widths varying from 13" up to about 25", depending on the brand. I have a 20" foldable loom with a stand. I have used a 25" loom and found it was a bit too cumbersome. I have (so far) made scarves and placemats easily on my 20" loom, the only thing I really couldn't do would be a thick rug or blanket. Inkle looms, from my understanding, are more suited to long, skinny things like belts and small scarves.

An inkle loom can be an inexpensive "gateway" option for weaving, so to speak. I chose to skip it and go straight for the hard stuff ;)

Cedar:

--- Quote from: AvenueQ on February 15, 2014, 05:05:15 PM ---An inkle loom can be an inexpensive "gateway" option for weaving, so to speak. I chose to skip it and go straight for the hard stuff ;)

--- End quote ---

But not as handy to haul to SCA events  ;D

Cedar

RitaRose1945:
Hmm.  You guys are really enablers...

LJH:

--- Quote from: Cedar on February 15, 2014, 10:24:25 AM ---

This was made on an inkle loom.

Cedar

--- End quote ---

Cedar! Those are really, really lovely!

Navigation