Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Needles & Strings

What techniques you know and what you would like to learn?

(1/7) > >>

Mielikki:
Sister Wolf pointed out that this subforum exists (yay!), I don't know I hadn't noticed it.

I like to try learn different ways of making stuff, and I think I'm not the only one. Sometimes it is quite hard to find out some technique even exists or to find resources on how to learn it. So, I would like to hear about your favorite techniques, about what techniques you would like to learn and if you have some "here is how to do it"-links, please post them.

And as I made the thread, I guess it is my responsibility to go first :P

Know:
-spinning, knitting, crocheting
-sewing

Want to learn:
- Tatting. I'm currently trying to learn this. These videos were a big help after reading these instructions. Then I found some patterns, got shuttles and gave it a try. First few tries ended in absolute disasters, but after I figured out that I was actually just making knots in thread, and that it mattered which thread was getting knotted I got some decent work done. I also noticed that at least for me, patterns made for needle tatting don't really work with shuttle tatting. I think I make the knots too tight or something like that, because the patterns "pull" where rings are.
-Embroidery. I have tried this earlier, but not with great results. Few weeks ago I saw a really pretty hungarian motif (like this), and got exited again :P
-Kinnasneulonta (I think this is needle binding?). My grandma showed me how to do this when I was a kid, but I have forgotten. I founds some nice videos(in finnish, but I think they show things clearly) about different ways of doing it, I think she has some different way of doing things. I have to ask her to show it to me again :)

Twibble:
On your last one, you might look up nalbinding or nalebinding and see if it's the same thing.

If so, this might help: http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=173

I can sew with a machine and by hand, I can knit a scarf, and I can crochet a chain.  I'd like to be able to knit fancier things and crochet something other than a chain, but unfortunately my wrists and hands start aching when I crochet.

Mielikki:
YES, nalebinding/nalbinding is same thing, and it seems to crop up more interesting hits on google than my previous searches, thank you :)

What grip are you using when knitting? I had to learn different way of holding needles to avoid issues with the nerves in my hands, perhaps changing the grip might help you too.

Twibble:

--- Quote from: Mielikki on November 24, 2011, 07:16:18 AM ---YES, nalebinding/nalbinding is same thing, and it seems to crop up more interesting hits on google than my previous searches, thank you :)

What grip are you using when knitting? I had to learn different way of holding needles to avoid issues with the nerves in my hands, perhaps changing the grip might help you too.

--- End quote ---

There's different grips?  :o

I just grab the needles and go...

Mielikki:
These videos show couple of different ways and there are even more :) I do continental, but I hold my hands differently than the lady in the video, sort of in the front/top of the thing I'm knitting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version