Finance and Economics > The Money Board

How to Save your Cellphone

(1/3) > >>

If you ever drop your phone in water, or get it wet:


Immediately remove the battery.

Place the phone and the battery in a ziploc bag with a couple desicant packs (small bag of beads that says do not eat and comes with your shoes)  Sometimes called Silica Gel on the pack.  This will help to draw the moisture out.  DO NOT TOUCH IT FOR 24 hours or more.

  Unlike most items, pushing the power off button actually powers certain circuits to shut down the software.  Pulling the battery shuts it down instantly.  Electric circuits don't mind water too much unless they are energized.  That's when the corrosion starts, which is the problem with small electronics and water damage.

If you really want to give it a good chance, especially if the offending liquid is muddy, or soda/coffee.  Open the case and clean it with a toothbrush and distilled water.  Then put the pieces in the baggy with the desicant packs. 

The battery might be ruined regardless.  The battery on most cellphones also have some circuitry inside that is used to regulate current as well as tell the phone (some manufacturers) that the battery is the correct one.  That is why some phones (especially older Nokias) don't like the aftermarket chinese battery that you can buy at the mall.

Also, if you are in a place with very little signal, your battery will die much faster than if you have a good strong signal.  So if there is no signal, shutting the phone off while it is useless anyway will preserve battery life.

Doesn't work if you drop your digital camera in a freshly filled urinal :(

Don't ask.  Seriously. Don't ask.

Had a co-worker drop one in a port-a-potty.  It was stained blue for a while.  Yuck!

If you dont have silica you can put it in a bowl of rice.  Rice will help pull the moisture out too.


--- Quote from: millerized1 on October 21, 2008, 10:30:11 AM ---Doesn't work if you drop your digital camera in a freshly filled urinal :(

Don't ask.  Seriously. Don't ask.

--- End quote ---

LMAO!!!  :D :D :D

Good info. I never thought about using silica to do that. I just figured it was TKO'd upon submersion.

Almost anything electronic can survive being dunked in water. The trick is not to power something up until it's completely dry. I work in electronics manufacturing and we used dishwashers to wash circuit boards after wave soldering. Most electronic components are capable of handling 80C (even under power) with no problems. Many manufacturers use a hot room to stress test components during their first hours of operation...
If something gets wet, remove the batteries ASAP! Don't power it up. Dry as much as you can with a towel or cloth. Pay attention to any foam or the like that may be in a battery compartment. You can set your oven to the lowest setting it will go and bake whatever gets wet for an hour or so... That usually does the trick. BE CAREFUL not to get the oven too warm or plastic will melt, wires will melt, etc... BUT, an oven set to WARM (or about 100 to 125F) shouldn't be a problem. OR, set it in a sunny window or the dashboard of your car. DO NOT use a hairdryer!! Rice or gel/desiccant packs are a good idea, but, they may take a while and they may not have the capacity to get enough water out. Electronic components are surprisingly resilient. LCD's are more sensitive, but, some will handle up to 65C. The trick is low and slow...
As for any blue staining or funny smells, well, you're on your own there. :)


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version